First run with re-programmed TBI chip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First run with re-programmed TBI chip

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
1983 CJ7 

First run with re-programmed TBI chip

I took a shortcut and had Bill Hamilton program a chip so I can spend my time getting it buttoned up and road ready. I ran a dozen or more logs over the last month with the stock 4.3 V6 chip and once it was sorted out he used a V8 chip that provides synchrous fueling in lieu of a-synchrous fueling and disabled EGR and EST.

I am sure it can be fine tuned and I will send it back for tweaks later, but it runs freaking great, I was able to get out on the highway and up to 65 for a 1/2 mile or so plus another 30 minutes from 0-50.

It ran good enough to drive on the highway with the stock 4.3 chip so I am definitely starting to piece together a system for the Cherokee; I will also have Bill H program a chip to get me on the road.

If the weather cooperates I will be wrapping the dash harness this weekend so I can get the dash installed.

With the dash back in I can get it inspected and start driving it...getting close!

243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
CSP

I'm not sure I follow you on the V6 vs V8 chip thing. If he's programming them I don't get it what vehicle/engine the chip came out of originally. The stock calibration codes become irrelevant at that point in my experience with live tuning.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Programming chips, a-synchronous fueling, calibration codes....ugh....none of that sounds like a CJ to me.

I wish you luck, Dave, although I have no idea what you are doing.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Matt jus cuz you use two soup cans and a string for your cell phone dosent mean everyone else does!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

George,

Yeah, maybe I'm old-school.

But, after following Dave, Skipper, and Ken's fuel injection woes, I'm more convinced then ever to stick with my old fogger.

Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I'm not sure I follow you on the V6 vs V8 chip thing. If he's programming them I don't get it what vehicle/engine the chip came out of originally. The stock calibration codes become irrelevant at that point in my experience with live tuning.
I am not speaking with any first hand knowledge, only repeating and following what I have read.

It is my understanding GM used asynchronous fueling on the 4.3, I did not find any data that explains why the engineers programmed the system with this method. There is one BIN for the 4.3 that is synchronous but most of the people programming '7747 chips suggested starting with a synchronous 5.7 BIN for all applications, ASDU (5.7 Auto) or ASDW (5.7 Manual) one of the better BIN's.

I found one thread on GearheadEFI that goes into quite a bit of detail regarding asynch vs synch, it is far over my head so I am posting the link for you if you care to look at it.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...synch-fueling&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
George,

Yeah, maybe I'm old-school.

But, after following Dave, Skipper, and Ken's fuel injection woes, I'm more convinced then ever to stick with my old fogger.

Matt

Matt,

The MC2100 that I bought to break-in my engine is probably the last carburetor I will ever buy for a car or truck. A TBI conversion is less complicated than I anticipated.

Look at the parts and pieces:

TB - Throttle body bolts on like a carburetor.
IAC - Idle air control sensor, already bolted to TB.
TPS - Throttle position sensor, already bolted to TB.
MAP - Manifold absolute pressure, one vacuum hose to manifold vacuum.
O2 - Oxygen sensor, one hole in the downpipe.
CTS - Coolant temperature sensor, screw it in just like an under dash temp gauge sensor.
ICM - Ignition control module, same hack as the stealth HEI or whatever it's called.

You say you are old school but you shoot a compound bow and they are not self-tuning
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Matt,

You say you are old school but you shoot a compound bow and they are not self-tuning
That's very true.

However, my bow doesn't require a computer programming degree, or specialized equipment to tune.

As you can probably tell, I am intrigued by the FI conversion, or I wouldn't follow these threads. But, it just doesn't seem to be the "no-brainer" that some claim.

Maybe your final results, whenever you get there, will change my mind.

Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
CSP

Matt you just have to dive in it. It's really no more difficult than the investment in time you took to fully understand your MC2100 and tuning the distributor.

For most it's plug and play, but you don't see threads about that. You only see threads where people want to dive in deeper and convert to live tuning or their own programmming. That or those that do have problems, most of which are pretty easy to diagnose. Think of all of the literally millions of GM cars out there still on the road with TBI that never have had a hiccup in regards to fuel induction.
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

CSP,

I hear you. I'm sure I could figure it out.

Here's the thing. If I'm 30 miles deep into the wilderness and I have a carb problem, I'm confident I could diagnose and fix it with a screwdriver and a few basic hand tools. Not so much with FI.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, Dave. Carry on, and I will continue to watch and learn.

Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Matt you just have to dive in it. It's really no more difficult than the investment in time you took to fully understand your MC2100 and tuning the distributor.

For most it's plug and play, but you don't see threads about that. You only see threads where people want to dive in deeper and convert to live tuning or their own programmming. That or those that do have problems, most of which are pretty easy to diagnose. Think of all of the literally millions of GM cars out there still on the road with TBI that never have had a hiccup in regards to fuel induction.
Millions is right!

Do it Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Do it Matt
I will only if I'm forced to by emissions.

I don't really see it as an upgrade over a good running carb, at least for my purposes. I'm not reading many reports of huge performance differences, so it would just add another level of complexity to my engine.

But don't let that dissuade you at all. I'm just a stubborn redneck who likes tinkering with carbs.

Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
1983 CJ7 

I have a NOS MC2100 I bought to break in my motor, if you are interested in a spare let me know.
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
CSP

There's definitely something to be said for a well tuned carb. At least until you point it uphill, which is why I learned about TBI. Choking, coughing, and sputtering trying to get out of the hot tubs on Hell's Revenge in Moab isn't a good combination.
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a NOS MC2100 I bought to break in my motor, if you are interested in a spare let me know.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that will run too well on my 360.

CSP, I haven't been on a hill that's steep enough to drown my carb yet, and probably won't. I do understand, however, that is one of the benefits of FI for hard-core wheeling.

Matt
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
1983 CJ7 

Hey Matt, what other vehicles do ya'll have, the Jeep is not your winter vehicle is it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.