First Jeep let me know how I did. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First Jeep let me know how I did.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
ClemsonMan
1982 CJ7 

First Jeep let me know how I did.

Hey guys, I just got my first Jeep a few weeks ago. It's an '82 CJ-7 Laredo. I really don't know a whole lot about Jeeps yet, but I'm looking forward to getting into it. I decided to get a CJ-7 because of their size. I'm a pretty big guy, and had a hard time even getting into any tj's or yj's. After looking around and reading a lot about different Jeeps I decided a CJ-7 was what I wanted. I started watching craigslist every day over the next 9 or 10 months and drove 4 or 5 different ones. When I saw this jeep pop up on Clist I almost knew immediately it was the one, and after taking it for a test drive I bought it. Here's a few pics so you know what I'm working with. A lot of it is still original, the only thing I'm sure that is not original is the windshield. It also only has 86000 miles on the original engine.It has the AMC 258 I-6 engine. I don't know about the transmission and gear ratios and stuff. As I said I'm new to all of this. I paid $8200 as it is now. Let me know how I did, because when I left there with it I felt like I'd gotten it for a couple grand less than it was worth. Sorry if the pics aren't great all I'm working with is my iPhone.

Here it is the afternoon after I got it home.

I took the rest of these yesterday here in Clemson.

I have the missing nob in this picture, it just falls off easily so I don't keep it on.

This is an original '82 soft dash, it does have a few cracks in it though.

The seats have a few splits in them, but are overall in pretty good shape.

Here's a few shots of the engine, I haven't had a chance to clean it up in there yet though.

ClemsonMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Not to bad of a deal, not having test drove it I would say in the $6-7k range. BUT you said the magic words 'This is what I wanted, and im happy with it'. Sometimes its worth paying that little bit over because you get what you want.

Im a sucker for Laredo, Renegades, and especially Golden Eagles. VERY nice find!

Ben
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

its not a bad jeep but a laredo is just a chrome grill and a decal, I think you paid about $5000 too much, that only a $3500 jeep at the best maybe 8 it it was show room shape.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

Laredo's also have the leather wrapped wheel, handle, and dash piece. Price is all subjective though. It all depends on the market, what people are willing to pay for it, and whether that is what you truly want. Everyone has their own idea of what they would spend 8 grand on. As long as you got what you want and you're happy, then it's worth it. Me, I'd spend the money on something cheaper and put the rest of the cash (what cash) on building it the way I'd want it. Glad you joined the cj family though! Congrats!
johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
ClemsonMan
1982 CJ7 

I drove several CJ's that were not anywhere near this condition that the owner wanted 5 or 6 for. The ones in the 2 or 3 range either didn't run or were all rusted out. I don't know how the CJ market is where y'all are, but it must be a lot different than here in SC. I may have over paid a little, but not 5000... At least for this area. Plus this one had no rust except for a couple spots on the passenger side floor boards that I took care of already.
Unread 05-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its not a bad jeep but a laredo is just a chrome grill and a decal, I think you paid about $5000 too much, that only a $3500 jeep at the best maybe 8 it it was show room shape.
not true. tach and clock, interior is different, rims, grill, decals, dash pad, tilt column, and plenty of other things.

dont hate on what ya dont know!

Ben
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

hardtop? any top? Id say with hard top and no rust hes right in the correct price range,maybe on the higher side a tad. No power brakes is a big BOO.Market is definitely subject to geographic location as well,thats for around this area
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
ClemsonMan
1982 CJ7 

Yes, hard top and bikini top were included. I didn't think to mention that because I haven't had it on since I got it home. It's the nutmeg color, but it has a few spots where the paint is starting to flake off.
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
mlittle
1985 CJ7 

I see it has cruise control and AC, that's kinda rare I think. IMHO you did OK.
1985 CJ7, 258 with TBI, Header, T5, 3:54 gears
mlittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

You're in there then. Welcome to the addiction

I saw the ac,no cruise indication.

btw,im moving to charleston soon, where's the wheeling spots in SC?
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I want one....

Looks in great shape besides the up-close cosmetics. Easily all mended or hidden.

Congratulations on your buy
ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
hardtop? any top? Id say with hard top and no rust hes right in the correct price range,maybe on the higher side a tad. No power brakes is a big BOO.Market is definitely subject to geographic location as well,thats for around this area
Don't know about '82, but in '76 power brakes was only an option on the V8 CJ's, according to my sales brochure.

As long as you're happy with the purchase, then that's what counts. Every area is different on price.

Nice Laredo.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
ClemsonMan
1982 CJ7 

Well it has cruise and ac, but neither are currently working and I haven't had a chance to look into either yet. I'm thinking the cruise is probably an electrical issue though.

Awesome lordwrench! SC is a great place for wheeling, I don't know about places in the lower state, but we've got a few good ones up here. The Gulches in Laurens is a good one, I've spent a good deal of time there because it's about half an hour from where I grew up. I haven't decided if I'm going to do any wheeling in this one or not though. I actually bought this jeep in charleston while I was down there working on a co-op assignment. I'll be back down there for fall so I'll have to see what's down there.
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Power brakes were optional throughout production, as far as I know.It is the only possible option I see he didn't get. Cruise is definitely rare,usually just see it on limited's mostly. Sweet ride,I want a loaded Laredo one day.I really dig em.
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
blownsvtlightni
1981 CJ7 

you are not far off the mark with what you got with it. It appears to be cosmetically clean and rust free. Rust is a HUGE issue on these things and the less there is the better obviously. what does the frame and underbody look like? post more pics if possible. I have seen big pieces of junk go for 4 to 5K and need 3 more in paint and body work just to get where you are now.. I like to low ball though, I would have tried to knock them down a grand or more, gives me more money for mods
blownsvtlightni is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.