First jeep and first problems! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First jeep and first problems!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
McMillanDMD

First jeep and first problems!

First - thank you guys for all the info. I've learned a LOT from this site already! I'm new to jeeps and semi new to working on cars.

I just bought a jeep about 3 weeks ago - getting married in 2 weeks from today so it's been a good way to take my mind off the wedding haha.

84 CJ 4cy. When I bought it, it was driving well. Got it home. Took it out for a few spins over the next couple of days - less than 3 miles.

My soon to be wife wanted to practice with a 5 speed - it's been a while. Went to a parking lot and she stalled after a few minutes and it would not start back up had to walk home - she was ok with it only about 1/2 mile walk thankfully.

It would turn over fine. Could smell gas so I assume plenty is getting to the carb - battery died starting it so I charged it. After about 2 hrs of it sitting it fired up and drove home. Still wasn't running great. It kept wanting to stall under load.

I have read about some of the issues so I started with the fuel filter (cheap and easy) - new filter and made sure to move the return line to the top. Didn't fix it.

I read about the Ignition Module... I want to try it next but can't figure out where it is.

The jeep looks to have been through a lot of "quick fixes" and wiring is a nightmare.

Couple of other questions. What is the part with the black hose coming off the intake manifold? The hose is not attached - just been curious to start identifying everything.

Also what is the box beside the starter solenoid with the wires running into it?

I bought the Haynes manual but this jeep has been hacked too many times for it to help completely.

Anything else to easily check that might help?

Thanks in advance!

photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
McMillanDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

Wish I could help but I'm clueless... Just wanted to say welcome to the addiction and post more pics of your Jeep!
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
EBCJ7
1976 CJ7 

the part with the vacuum line coming off it looks like the egr valve if thats what your looking at
EBCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
McMillanDMD

Ok. Looks like most emissions systems have been removed. Would the vacuum line not being connected matter? Thanks!
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
EBCJ7
1976 CJ7 

mines not connected and i don't notice an issue yet and theres a thread on this forum about the pros and cons on having the egr connected or not
EBCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
McMillanDMD

what about the box beside the starter selonoid?? Anyone know what it might be?
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

I dont know your exact combo Im guessing 258 or 150 with t5/dana 300. But one thing I can tell you from those pics is that those carbs (carter yfa) and everything hooked to them are just hell if they arent new anymore. Only advice I can really give is to look into the "Nutter Bypass" and carter yfa to yf swap. The yf is a non computer controlled model made since the 60s and the nutter bypass eliminates the onboard computer, which should not be a problem in Alabama. Anyway good luck and Welcome.
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

The box beside the solenoid is either the voltage regulator or the ignition control module. Regulators wires should be all in a row with one flat plug/clip. Icm should have 2 sets of 4 wires dangling off it with two more rounded clips. Now lokking at your other pic (duh). That looks more like a voltage regulator, however it looks like a really cheap one, possibly not designd for a jeep.
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

The module to the right of the starter solenoid looks like a relay, for what, no clue. Maybe to bring the manifold heater in. The ignition module is located under the coolant overflow bottle and windshield washer fluid bottle on the driver's side front fender well. That is, if, your jeep has the Ford type duraspark ignition. The module can be removed by removing a couple of screws, taken to Autozone or O'reilly's and can be tested, free of charge. The most common cause of failure of those modules is leaving the key on while the engine is not running, cooking the electronics inside the case and allowing the magic smoke to escape. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
McMillanDMD

Thanks guys. Would any of the above lead to it not running well when warm?
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

The square shaped likely silver or a little gold color is the control module. It sends 12 volts to the distributor while cranking the engine. Turn the key from start to run and the voltage it sends is less. There are three different control modules. Each one levels out at different volts in run mode, or at least that is what I have been told. Someone should be able to test it for you. I had the same problem and the control module went out. Of course the guy who installed the new one also wired a new pigtail backwards, which has cause many other problems. I think when he tried to start it afterward (wired backwards) it may have caused such and uproar in the engine that my timing chain jumjed a cog. At least everything is now pointing in that direction. I'll find out for sure about the timing chain Monday. Good luck!
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

welcome to the forum.Hope you get things figured out.Have a good wedding.Make sure she doesn't have to walk after or it won't be your lucky nite

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.