First CJ questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First CJ questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
jmhat98
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First CJ questions

Hi guys, I am over from the YJ forums. After being told by a couple of real jeepers that my YJ is a girls jeep, I have been looking at CJ's. I have found one that i like, but have only seen pictures. It is a 4.2 automatic 1983 CJ7.
What transmission and axles will this jeep have on it? What can I expect to be different than my 90 YJ? Does this have power steering or not? Will YJ full doors and hard top fit? I am going to try and go by tommorrow and check it out in person. Thanks for any info.

jmhat98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
cjheven

The Jeep should have Dana 30 up front, Amc 20 rear. Not sure about the auto trans. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. Also the doors and top will fit as the tubs are the same. Good luck!
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
jeepin in maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhat98
Hi guys, I am over from the YJ forums. After being told by a couple of real jeepers that my YJ is a girls jeep, I have been looking at CJ's. I have found one that i like, but have only seen pictures. It is a 4.2 automatic 1983 CJ7.
What transmission and axles will this jeep have on it? What can I expect to be different than my 90 YJ? Does this have power steering or not? Will YJ full doors and hard top fit? I am going to try and go by tommorrow and check it out in person. Thanks for any info.
welcome to the cj side.if its stock components this is what you should have.the trans will be the torqueflight 999.the front axle is a wide track dana 30.the rear is an amc model 20.as far as differences from your yj....it has locking hubs........and your yj probably drove much better and required much less maintenance.it should have power steering.yj top and doors will fit.........and for the record yj's aren't girl jeeps ...they make a great trail rig/daily driver while the cj's down for repairs:suicide:
jeepin in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
cjheven

:suicide:[/QUOTE]
Sorry to go off topic BUT... What is up with this? Thats awful LOL
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

It really depends on what you're using your Jeep for. No offense to my CJ7, but I couldn't drive that thing every day with the extent of driving I do. That thing is such a handful to drive that I can't even think about talking on the phone while driving, much less tap away on my BlackBerry.

I used to drive a 1987 YJ with the same 4.2L I6 as in my 1986 CJ7 I have now, and even though it was several years ago that I sold the YJ, I can still remember enough to say that the YJ handles and rides much better, and is much more comfortable. If this is a daily driver, I would stick with your 1990 YJ. Your full doors and hard top will fit on no problems by the way.

Also, YJs are not "sissy Jeeps." To tell you the truth, my 87 YJ did a heck of a lot better off-roading than my CJ7, but it did have limited slips in the front and back while my CJ7 has open differentials that will just about get stuck on wet pavement. That will all change in time, though. There are lockers in my CJ7's future.

Now, that said, I am head over heals in love with my CJ7 because it's a true original Jeep classic. I love the noises, smells, and the way it handles, and I definitely love the look of it. But, if I had to get rid of my car (daily driver) and choose between a YJ and CJ, it would have to be a YJ...
Unread 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
jmhat98
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I really like my YJ, but it is stock and I have not had it for long. I was about to start putting some money into it, but found a great deal on a CJ that I just wanted to look into before I start my build just to make sure the YJ is right for me. It is just a toy and not my DD.
jmhat98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I started in a CJ (2A), had a couple of 5's, a couple of commando's, three YJ's, a TJ, and now finally, a 7.

I really liked the YJ's, they were great rigs.

I also really like my CJ, but it is really a whole different vehicle all together.

post some pics or info on the rig you are looking at, and your current rig as well, and you'll get more feedback than you ever wanted.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.