Fire! could use some help here... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fire! could use some help here...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Fire! could use some help here...

Well, my Jeep ignited at the gas station on my way to work. Looks like my fuel pressure gage failed. Thankfully I had an adequately sized ABC extinguisher on board, and was able to get it put out before it got outta hand. I did lose some plastic bits for the intake and the wiring to the grill shell on the driver side. I replaced some crispy fuel, and vacuum lines, taped up the wiring and had it running well enough to get to work, and home after. I ordered the "heavy duty" headlight harness for mid 80's Chevy p/u through LMC truck, still need to find the plastic elbow for the heat riser, and the intake flange on the shell, if any body has some layin around, and wants to swing a deal I would really appreciate it. I still need to figure out what color wires went where since they now terminate in a melted blob at the grill, any help there would rock as well...

Fletchlives85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The first bit of advice I can give you is.....not later, but now....power wash the heck outa that engine compartment. the ABC chemical is very corrosive.

I had a small under hood fire as well, I mistakenly waited a few days to deal with it....wrong move. I spent many days/weeks detailing it back trying to remove/clean the corroded parts and replace the bad ones.

post up some pics too.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Were (or how) did the fuel pressure gauge fail? Any insight you could provide may help another in your situation.

BIG TIME THUMBS UP ON HAVING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER! Plus knowing were it is and actually using it.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Thanks, "only in a..." I pressure washed it as best I could, and am goin after it again tomorrow, I have a 3 day weekend...yay!!! "WSS" love your rig BTW, I bought a cheapo off the shelf type gage for ~$10 so not real surprised it quit workin...but since I am not a forensic fire expert I really am not positive of anything...except the value of a proper extinguisher and knowing how to deploy it effectively. I will not run anything that requires any extra splices in my fuel system than necessary from now on...gonna start on serious cleaning, and wiring tomorrow. Still lookin for elusive plastic parts that vaporized...if any body has some old junk intake parts...
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The OEM location for the fuel filter is a known issue/location with many engine fires on the 258.
X2 on hvy duty engine wash!
LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

yeah Lumpy, that is where my gage was...between filter, and carb. Had fuel pressure issues when I first drug this gem home to be polished. Do you know the color codes for the wiring to the turn signals, and headlights? mine vary between black, and charred at the grill shell...
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
The first bit of advice I can give you is.....not later, but now....power wash the heck outa that engine compartment. the ABC chemical is very corrosive.

I had a small under hood fire as well, I mistakenly waited a few days to deal with it....wrong move. I spent many days/weeks detailing it back trying to remove/clean the corroded parts and replace the bad ones.

post up some pics too.
I pressure washed it a couple days after the "event" (it drew a crowd, and shut down a gas station for an hour), goin back after it again tomorrow, I hope the corrosion is not too horrendous....too newb to post pics just now, plus I am a true wood burner and will have to figure out how...

Last edited by Fletchlives85CJ; 12-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: forgot to post part of my reply
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I'm a little confused as why the lighting harness was burnt up by the grill. That harness is separate and off the engine on the far left inner fender.
Did it spray gas that then ignited there?

When I had my fire it was just behind the carb and took out about 10 inches of wires. I cut it out, spliced and soidered replacement colored wire in and used new loom. Can't even tell.
I'm fairly sure it was from a heavily leaking plastic valve cover.

I may have a spare CJ lighting harness or the front section you need.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm a little confused as why the lighting harness was burnt up by the grill. That harness is separate and off the engine on the far left inner fender.
Did it spray gas that then ignited there?

When I had my fire it was just behind the carb and took out about 10 inches of wires. I cut it out, spliced and soidered replacement colored wire in and used new loom. Can't even tell.
I'm fairly sure it was from a heavily leaking plastic valve cover.

I may have a spare CJ lighting harness or the front section you need.
I rerouted my wiring to run along the grill support rods for a future tube fender build it was basically like a pig roasting on a spit...my fire involved everything from carb to grill on the drivers side engine compartment, I suspect it started as a gas fire then cooked greasy road grime, and everything plastic. I bought the upgrade harness with relays, and 10ga (advertised) wire from China also adding ceramic plugs so I can install H4's down the road.I running Sylvania silverstars now, love them, but they belong to my Chevy. The only parts I need (that I know of) are the plastic duct/flange on the grill, and the plastic elbow under the "horn" of the air cleaner...found a dude that will sell me an aircleaner for $75 but it is missing the elbow.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchlives85CJ View Post
yeah Lumpy, that is where my gage was...between filter, and carb. Had fuel pressure issues when I first drug this gem home to be polished. Do you know the color codes for the wiring to the turn signals, and headlights? mine vary between black, and charred at the grill shell...
The REAL FSM should have that info.
Word-Don't 110% even the FSM to have all the wire color correct.
What's your insurance have to say?
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchlives85CJ View Post
I rerouted my wiring to run along the grill support rods for a future tube fender build it was basically like a pig roasting on a spit...my fire involved everything from carb to grill on the drivers side engine compartment, I suspect it started as a gas fire then cooked greasy road grime, and everything plastic. I bought the upgrade harness with relays, and 10ga (advertised) wire from China also adding ceramic plugs so I can install H4's down the road.I running Sylvania silverstars now, love them, but they belong to my Chevy. The only parts I need (that I know of) are the plastic duct/flange on the grill, and the plastic elbow under the "horn" of the air cleaner...found a dude that will sell me an aircleaner for $75 but it is missing the elbow.

My (very much) better half bought me this for my B day:

I have heard too much stuff this year about fire. To add to it, I have done the engine work myself, am I that good? No way. I don't trust myself or my insurance to protect my family and (of course) my Jeep. A fire does one of two things, it goes out or gets bigger. You were super lucky (luck favors the prepared LOL).

This fire charger system is non pressurized until the E pull is activated. Then a Co2 cartridge fills the liquid (AFFF foam) filled reservoir and forces it out the aluminum tubes to the nozzles. The foam is about as corrosive as simple green and as easy to clean up, so it has been explained via research.

I figure two nozzles in the engine compartment and one over the tank. It can be used on driver/passengers too, but probably guys in fire suits and covered heads.

I will still keep my two FE mounted in the Jeep. One advantage is the hood does not need to be lifted (opened) to be effective. I do some stuff that could potentially land my Jeep on it's side or possibly even on the hood.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I barking mad? Don't answer the second question............

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:

post up some pics too.
I didn't know that, you learn something useful every day! Thanks for the tip!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

So, you are looking for headlight wiring colors?

Gray, Gray/White stripe, stuff like that?

Dimmer Switch 'Gray', 16 Gauge, out to headlights, LOW BEAMS.

Dimmer Switch 'Gray w/Trace', 14 Gauge, out to headlights, HIGH BEAMS.
'Trace' is a color stripe on the normally 'Gray' wire, in case you don't know.

In my estimation, BOTH WIRES, 14 & 16 Gauge are too small for modern headlights...
You are stuck with the factory switch which doesn't like to pass more current for modern head lights, so you are kind of stuck even if you 'Up Size' the wire...
(That's why we use Relays and direct power feed to brighten headlights, to take the load off the factory head light switch...)

-------------

Just for future reference,
High Beam Indicator is Gray w/Trace, 18 Ga. From dimmer switch 'High Beam' connection to dash 'High Beam' indicator lamp.

--------------

Now, this is where it gets stupid...

LEFT,

Left Hand SIDE marker lamp is 'White', 16 Ga.,

Left Hand Front Park is 'White', 16 Ga. (Same wire as above, just spliced into)

Left Hand Front TURN SIGNAL is 'Green w/Trace', 16 Ga.

----

RIGHT,

Right Hand side marker lamp is 'White' 16 Ga. (Same 'White' as above, just spliced into)

Right hand FRONT park lamp is 'White' 16 Ga. (Same 'White' as above, just spliced into)

Right hand front TURN SIGNAL is 'Green' (no trace like left side has) 16 Ga.

----

Factory FOG lamps are supposed to be 'Orange' 14 Ga. from firewall to fog lamp harness, then turn to 'Red' wire to the lamps.

------------------

WHITE is park/side marker,
GREEN is RIGHT turn,
GREEN w/Trace is LEFT TURN.

GRAY is Low Beams,
GRAY w/Trace is High Beams,

Orange is for factory fog lamps... Sometimes found in the harness even if it wasn't used...

Black was the 'Ground' for the headlights/park/turn lamps.

---------
Wiring diagram for '84-86 CJ,

link: http://www.civilianjeep.info/wiring/...84-86Page5.gif

-----------

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
My (very much) better half bought me this for my B day:

I have heard too much stuff this year about fire. To add to it, I have done the engine work myself, am I that good? No way. I don't trust myself or my insurance to protect my family and (of course) my Jeep. A fire does one of two things, it goes out or gets bigger. You were super lucky (luck favors the prepared LOL).

This fire charger system is non pressurized until the E pull is activated. Then a Co2 cartridge fills the liquid (AFFF foam) filled reservoir and forces it out the aluminum tubes to the nozzles. The foam is about as corrosive as simple green and as easy to clean up, so it has been explained via research.

I figure two nozzles in the engine compartment and one over the tank. It can be used on driver/passengers too, but probably guys in fire suits and covered heads.

I will still keep my two FE mounted in the Jeep. One advantage is the hood does not need to be lifted (opened) to be effective. I do some stuff that could potentially land my Jeep on it's side or possibly even on the hood.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I barking mad? Don't answer the second question............

WSS
Thought about this a while ago when building my Chevy, super nice equipment...price tag is outta my reach though...
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
So, you are looking for headlight wiring colors?

Gray, Gray/White stripe, stuff like that?

Dimmer Switch 'Gray', 16 Gauge, out to headlights, LOW BEAMS.

Dimmer Switch 'Gray w/Trace', 14 Gauge, out to headlights, HIGH BEAMS.
'Trace' is a color stripe on the normally 'Gray' wire, in case you don't know.

In my estimation, BOTH WIRES, 14 & 16 Gauge are too small for modern headlights...
You are stuck with the factory switch which doesn't like to pass more current for modern head lights, so you are kind of stuck even if you 'Up Size' the wire...
(That's why we use Relays and direct power feed to brighten headlights, to take the load off the factory head light switch...)

-------------

Just for future reference,
High Beam Indicator is Gray w/Trace, 18 Ga. From dimmer switch 'High Beam' connection to dash 'High Beam' indicator lamp.

--------------

Now, this is where it gets stupid...

LEFT,

Left Hand SIDE marker lamp is 'White', 16 Ga.,

Left Hand Front Park is 'White', 16 Ga. (Same wire as above, just spliced into)

Left Hand Front TURN SIGNAL is 'Green w/Trace', 16 Ga.

----

RIGHT,

Right Hand side marker lamp is 'White' 16 Ga. (Same 'White' as above, just spliced into)

Right hand FRONT park lamp is 'White' 16 Ga. (Same 'White' as above, just spliced into)

Right hand front TURN SIGNAL is 'Green' (no trace like left side has) 16 Ga.

----

Factory FOG lamps are supposed to be 'Orange' 14 Ga. from firewall to fog lamp harness, then turn to 'Red' wire to the lamps.

------------------

WHITE is park/side marker,
GREEN is RIGHT turn,
GREEN w/Trace is LEFT TURN.

GRAY is Low Beams,
GRAY w/Trace is High Beams,

Orange is for factory fog lamps... Sometimes found in the harness even if it wasn't used...

Black was the 'Ground' for the headlights/park/turn lamps.

---------
Wiring diagram for '84-86 CJ,

link: http://www.civilianjeep.info/wiring/...84-86Page5.gif

-----------

Awesome! Thank you Mr.Hammer exactly what I was lookin for! I am indeed upgrading to relays, and plan to incorporate a circuit breaker also. Primary focus is getting it road worthy this week as it is my DD...and yes that yellow powder crap in the ABC extinguishers is hell on everything...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.