Fine tuning Carter Carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fine tuning Carter Carb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

Fine tuning Carter Carb

I have my stock carter carb. I'm doing fine tuning on it. This might just be a common sense thing but my carb isn't being logical.

I turned screw all the way in, and let idle on warm engine. I then turned one out until it sputter and then turned back towards lean a whole turn.

Then I did the same on the left screw. It wouldn't sputter when turned all the way out. Is this normal?

ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

This is what I found work for me after I rebuilt mine. I turned them both all the way in then both 4 turns out from a cold start. Once warmed up and I felt my timing was set to my specs, I would play with both of them until I had the engine bogging down and I would back it off until it idled fine +1/2 turn. I then tested the throttle response and did the same. Also keep in mind I had a vaccum gauge while doing all of this and maintaining a 20hg at idle. This is what worked for me and ive tuned a good bit of carburetors. I also nuttered mine too.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

Thank you!
ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCarlock
I have my stock carter carb. I'm doing fine tuning on it. This might just be a common sense thing but my carb isn't being logical. I turned screw all the way in, and let idle on warm engine. I then turned one out until it sputter and then turned back towards lean a whole turn. Then I did the same on the left screw. It wouldn't sputter when turned all the way out. Is this normal?
If it runs with one screw all the way in then either the other one is backed out way too far, there is still dirt in a passage.

A carter with zero vacuum leaks on engine will have the screws at or around 2 1/2 turns. Any settings beyond 3 1/2 its going to effect carburation and off idle response.

Or the there is still dirt in there.

Have you tried shooting carb cleaner through your emulsion tubes?

Johns fingers not mine.
image-1603021774.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
If it runs with one screw all the way in then either the other one is backed out way too far, there is still dirt in a passage.

A carter with zero vacuum leaks on engine will have the screws at or around 2 1/2 turns. Any settings beyond 3 1/2 its going to effect carburation and off idle response.

Or the there is still dirt in there.

Have you tried shooting carb cleaner through your emulsion tubes?

Johns fingers not mine.
i drilled these out as will as a precaution. #67 hobby drill bit and dremel
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

There are [B]2[B]idle mix screws on the Carter. BOTH must be turned the exact same amount.
If it's a BBD, with all the OEM stuff hooked up then the exact mix is controlled via the 'puter.
IF, it is still run'n rough-My bet is a micron of crud is block'n the idle air-mix tubes.
This site will help you......
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

LG
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858
i drilled these out as will as a precaution. #67 hobby drill bit and dremel
I actually think it preformed better after drilling out those emulsion tubes. (Comparing to other carbs I had in it) But its hard to say because that carb on Grammys CJ came off a gremlin. And I totally gone over it and drilled out the tubes before first fire, and after the rebush of the throttle shafts it was back to brand new specs.

IF you find out your tubes are clogged, as your CJ sits more than its driven its something to do. When the gas evaporates from the fuel bowl it leaves orangish-brown granular debris behind.

Verifying your fuel screws are evenly set and idling. If you see fuel dripping out of the Venturi cluster they are clogged.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
If you see fuel dripping out of the Venturi cluster they are clogged.
This is the exact reason for me drilling them out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.