Finding Exhaust Leaks with Smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Finding Exhaust Leaks with Smoke

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-11-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
ravinhuxley

Finding Exhaust Leaks with Smoke

Has anyone ever heard of using one of those bee smokers to find exhaust leaks? The thought occured to me about halfway home in my exhaust-induced haze.

It seems that you could place the smoker blowing into your exhaust and pump the exhaust line full of smoke. The reason I think it may not work would be not enough pressure to push smoke through small leaks.

Anyway, anyone have any feedback about this, why it may or may not work?

I checked Ebay, and you can find those smokers for $15. I would pay that if it would lead me right to my leaks.

Unread 03-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinhuxley
Has anyone ever heard of using one of those bee smokers to find exhaust leaks? The thought occured to me about halfway home in my exhaust-induced haze.

It seems that you could place the smoker blowing into your exhaust and pump the exhaust line full of smoke. The reason I think it may not work would be not enough pressure to push smoke through small leaks.

Anyway, anyone have any feedback about this, why it may or may not work?

I checked Ebay, and you can find those smokers for $15. I would pay that if it would lead me right to my leaks.

I don't know what all you have tried but the easiest way to find an exhaust leak is to get a buddy and do the following.

1 Start the jeep and leave it idling.
2 Have someone plug the exhaust pipe with a rag and press hard enough to stop the exhaust from coming out.
3 The other person should listen for whistling sounds coming out of the pipes. It should be pretty loud.

This way you don't have to get the smoker. Just a thought. HTH

Sorry if I mispelled anything. I had Lasik this morning and can't see too great yet.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.