Finally might lift my Jeep ... Need advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Finally might lift my Jeep ... Need advice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Finally might lift my Jeep ... Need advice?

Jeeps down while I work out some stuff so I was trying to track down some vibration issues when I noticed that my front springs are bent upwards at the rear hangers. So I need new front springs. I have replaced the rear springs twice with two different sets of replacement springs, both didnt last vary long. I dont really want to lift my jeep but I am thinking I just might have to to get better springs that might last more than 4 years.

I'm looking at doing the YJ spring swap. I have shackles.
OME springs
spring plates
Hangers
shocks
Ubolts
anything else? Do I need bushings? Read somewhere you need to move the steering box?

Also Quadratec sells 2.5 inch heavy front and medium rear and Morris sells 2" front with 2" heavy rear? which of these would be better?

Thoughts on going a different route?

Looking for : Please PM, Carter 2 barrel Carb before you through it out
VaCJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
turbonusse2
1984 CJ7 

you should not need to move the steering box. a yj spring swap with old man emu lift is a good choice. there seems to be a lot of good review on that lift. you probably would need to get new bushings. it could only help in the long run. how much of a lift do you want?

doing research and seeing what gets good reviews is a good things to do. i have a rough country 4 in lift and am having problems with it but rc is working with me to get it resolved. with any leaf lift you are most likely going to look some ride quality. the arch in the springs makes for a stiffer ride. im sure that there will be others that will chime in but using google and searching for jeepforum.com and what lift you are looking for works a lot better than the search on the web site.
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

What brand if replacement springs did you use?? I'm due for some new ones, and they are hard to find. I haven't heard any good reviews on any of them.
Trying to figure out which ones to avoid. (seems like all of them).
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

The omix ones are the worst, only lasted a year or two and started to sag but road well IIRC.... go figure. I got a set from jcwhitney those were better but after 4 or so years, the keepers on one are broken and the pads that separate the leaves are falling out and some are gone. Kinda stiff but they have not sagged. I have not tried these ... http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...986_s/1951.htm . The messed up part is that the OME leaf springs are cheaper.

Unread 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

Personally If mine wasnt in the stratosphere when I got it I wouldnt chose to lift it more than just enough to clear 33s unless I was going for strictly off road. as I see it, with my 4" trailmasters+SOA + 38.5s the only upside is that fat chicks cant jump!...Hell I have to climb!.....OCG
Oldcraneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCJ79 View Post
The messed up part is that the OME leaf springs are cheaper.
Good lift springs are easy to find. Stock replacements, that's another story.

I'll do a little research into the link you gave me. I'm also going to see what it will cost to have them made locally.
Thanks.
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Good lift springs are easy to find. Stock replacements, that's another story.

I'll do a little research into the link you gave me. I'm also going to see what it will cost to have them made locally.
Thanks.
Let me know what you find locally

Unread 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Let me know what you find locally
Will do.
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonusse2 View Post
you probably would need to get new bushings. it could only help in the long run. how much of a lift do you want?

... with any leaf lift you are most likely going to look some ride quality. the arch in the springs makes for a stiffer ride. im sure that there will be others that will chime .
I am looking for as little lift as possible.

Is there a difference in size between CJ and YJ bushing for the shackles and leaf springs? I replaced everything no more than 8 years ago. I keep them greased and they look like new still.

Unread 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Do I need to get a drop pitman arm with a 2.5" lift?

Unread 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Do I need to get a drop pitman arm with a 2.5" lift?
If you want to get rid of any bump steer you need to do something. A drop pitman arm has several disadvantages, I would do a tie rod swap, much cheaper and solves the problem. My lift is a 2.5 Old Man Emu

Read this link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...l#post13369194

I will lend out the reamer, all you have to do is pay for the postage.

Several items generally missed in discussion in a suspension lift is how you will take care of:

Caser (wedges?)

Lengthening brake lines (new hoses / relocation of brake line brackets)

Bump steer (tie rod flip / drop pitman arm)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dr...itman-1349902/

Sway bar link extension
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...l#post13307782

drive shaft angle?

I installed a 2.5 inch Old Man Emu lift, and to do it correctly needed all but the driveshaft addresses, and time will tell on that.
Drive shaft angle, not sure I need to address, but it is close to needing to be address

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dr...angle-1279384/

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Thought about the caster issue but figured that would need to be addressed once every thing is installed.

Well Qtec wants $26 for the rear and $52 for the front. I think there is a shop in town that make hydraulic lines. wonder if it would be cheaper to just make 4" extensions? what about adding solid line extensions? This I know would be cheaper.

Tie rod flip would be cheaper, thanks for the offer on the tool. I might just take you up on that

As for the sway bar links, guess I need to go by the welding shop on monday.

Unread 10-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Thought about the caster issue but figured that would need to be addressed once every thing is installed.

Well Qtec wants $26 for the rear and $52 for the front. I think there is a shop in town that make hydraulic lines. wonder if it would be cheaper to just make 4" extensions? what about adding solid line extensions? This I know would be cheaper.

Tie rod flip would be cheaper, thanks for the offer on the tool. I might just take you up on that

As for the sway bar links, guess I need to go by the welding shop on monday.
Solid lines will work, I just put forward the issues you shoudl think about. There are people that just put the lift on and thinkthey are done.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
VaCJ79
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Solid lines will work, I just put forward the issues you shoudl think about. There are people that just put the lift on and think they are done.
Thanks for your help .... completely forgot about brake lines. Your suggestions got me thinking about the garage door as well...its going to be tight but I have a few inches to play with.

Unread 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell you on a YJ 2 inch bds springs ride way smoother than stock springs. I think rubicon express also makes a 1.5 inch spring that rides really nice. OME is also a nice riding spring. I think YJ bashing are .5 inches wider than CJ bushings since the springs are .5 inches wider. You can move your hard lines to under the frame and thag solves brake lines for free. Eastern change is a non issue it is so minimal. However you'll need new shocks.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.