Filling my T150 transmission help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Filling my T150 transmission help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

Filling my T150 transmission help

Yesterday 1st gear started to slip. Immediately I checked the fluid level and could not feel any fluid. So instead of trying to just fill it. I decided to drain it.
Took the pan off and drained what seemed to be about 2 1/2 quarts of the blackest goo known to man. There was a very very minute bit of metal on the plus.. nothing big at all, more like residue. Very very old.. This must be the first time in many many years it has been drained. I vought this jeep on Xmas day.
So now on to he filling. Went to Napa, got the recommended 3 quarts of 90 weight and a hand pump...
Started to fill it and didn't even get a quart in and it started draining out the side. Pushed the hose in more to make sure it wasn't coming out and still it keeps coming out of the side like it is filled up.. I checked the angle of the jeep and then pushed it to a point so the front is lower than the back. Same thing!!
Well it got dark and I could not finish the job

Why could it be doing this. Seems backed up some how.

I plan on doing a rebuild with a couple of friends in the next month. All gaskets and gearing.

I could use any tips on this. Much appreciated.

Last edited by KultureCJ5; 01-11-2013 at 10:48 PM..
KultureCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

Being that this transmission is as gunky as it is.. Do you think it would be wise to use some Lucus in it
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

ok. so after finding a PDF of the 1976 CJ5 manual.. I have learned that it it is only 3 pints that the transfer case will hold..the rear AMC 20 holds 1 quart, and the front Dana 30 holds 2.5 pints. I did not realize this when Napa told me I would need 3.5 quarts.. did not realize that was for the WHOLE fluid change.. you learn something new everyday..lol
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
jessec
1978 CJ5 

How does a manual transmission slip?
jessec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessec View Post
How does a manual transmission slip?
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
CSP

So the title of the thread is T150 transmission help and you mentiond removing a pan. There is no pan on the T150.

Then you mention the levels of the transfer case and the front and rear axles.

What component are you really working on?

As others have alluded to, manual transmissions don't slip.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

oh..opps...pretty naive on this.. it keeps coming out of first gear..it goes into neutral sometimes when i accelerate.. no noises..thought that would be considered "slipping" yes please correct me. i took it around the corner to a local mechanic and said it could possibly be the transmission..
I thought the first step would be to check my fluid levels..i did..it was low.. decided to drain the transmission fluid to see if the magnet had any metal collected on it..there was none...
i am assuming my transmission is the t-150, after checking the specs of my year of CJ5, plus identifying it on a few charts.. i have attached the photos of the pan? that i took off.. and the trans.. yes it is messy and i am in the process of cleaning it up.

so in trying to fill the transmission with 90w gear oil, i cant even get a pint in with out it spilling out...the capacity is 3 pints.. i am on a very level surface.

please school me!

PiC1: is what i removed.. even though there was a hole that allowed me to get to the drain plug. i removed it so I could clean it and have less of a mess.
PiC2: from the side where the "fill" plug is.. awkward and tight spot to get into.
PiC3: the drain plug (taken out)
PiC4: other side of the transmission
img_0875.jpg   img_0876.jpg   img_0877.jpg   img_0878.jpg  

Last edited by KultureCJ5; 01-12-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

ok.....the clutch slips...not the transmission..my misinterpretation... and wrong description of what is going on with my CJ5. this is my first CJ5 and like I said pretty naive when it comes to it..

everything is drained and i am gonna wait till I get some advice on what to do next.. thanks again

Last edited by KultureCJ5; 01-12-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

please deal with me on this.. learning the hard way.. i think i drained the transfer case and i have yet to drain the transmission yet....now need to locate the actual transmission drain plug....
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Stop what you are doing right not and go put a jack under the bellhouse.. The piece you removed is what supports the transmission, tcase, and the back of the engine. Without it all the weight is on the motor mounts. There is a good chance that you now have a broken mount and if you are not careful it all could come down.
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

do not lay under it.
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

i only removed the skid plate.. thats it
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

ok... jack in place. all good now. nothing was damaged.. thank you
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KultureCJ5 View Post
i only removed the skid plate.. thats it
Skid plate is what supports the whole thing.... thats it

As far as the fluid level goes.. The only reason I could think of why it would not take fluid would be that its full of something. If very little fluid came out and what did was solid goop I would think that there is goop still in there. I would remove the top and see whats inside.

As far as it jumping out of 1st gear goes that will be from a worn part. Could either be in the top or the actual tranny itself. Sounds like that rebuild you talked about is getting close.
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

just finished with the whole project.. fluid change on everything.. ok.. ii finally got the tranny drained.. black gold..lol... a nice collection of metal deposits...ordered all the parts for the rebuild. thanks to1986 CJ7 for looking out for my safety!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.