Figure this out and you are a Jeep GOD; hesitation in traffic but runs fine on hwy - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Figure this out and you are a Jeep GOD; hesitation in traffic but runs fine on hwy

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #16
KMD
1976 CJ7 

I am with Biotex and the EGR theory. It was the first thing that came to my mind. Especially if it idles really low.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #17
Jantelagom
1980 CJ5 

I'm pretty new at auto repair, but I've been having similar acceleration problems in town and lower speeds that go away at higher speeds.

My brain went to the fuel system first but I changed my spark plugs, air filter and PCV filter and the problem has vanished. Good luck! Let us know what works.

Last edited by Jantelagom; 08-06-2010 at 02:29 AM..
Jantelagom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

EGR or maybe choke sticking?

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You have some good ideas to check out, just unplugging the EGR and blocking it's line is a fast test for that and i have seen the manifold gasket act like that.

There is also a $2.00 air filter on the gas tank vent that can cause symptoms like you mention when it gets plugged up. It puts a vacuum on the gas tank which starves the carb for fuel. Likely in need of a change anyway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
You have some good ideas to check out, just unplugging the EGR and blocking it's line is a fast test for that and i have seen the manifold gasket act like that.

There is also a $2.00 air filter on the gas tank vent that can cause symptoms like you mention when it gets plugged up. It puts a vacuum on the gas tank which starves the carb for fuel. Likely in need of a change anyway.
i had a pin hole in the gas hard line once that only acted up when i stepped on the gas while driving. it would cruise all day below 40 but once i stepped speed up then it would putt around.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #21
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

My first thought was a choke sticking also.
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Ch3ater
1984 CJ7 

I know this is long overdue, but I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and guidance. I hope this post has helped some others with their fuel related issues. I’d like to run through what actions I took to tackle the problem (over the last 2 years in between deployments).
• First, I followed the fuel line routing to ensure they were not being overheated by the exhausts system. Good to go.
• The EGR was not sticking and I went ahead and pulled the exhaust manifold and replaced the gasket.
• Fuel filter was GTG.
• The gas cap is not of the vented type, since the tank vents through charcoal canister.
• The choke may have been sticking, in hindsight.
In the end, I decided to ditch the Carter and upgrade to a Howell TBI setup. Glad I did, but that’s not the end of the story. After install, the jeep ran phenomenally… for a week. She ran exceedingly well on short trips, but any longer trip lasting for more than 15-20 minutes would cause a ridiculous amount of pressure to build in the gas tank and the jeep would run extremely rough. I dropped the gas tank and found a return line crimped between the tank and frame. The CJ had been rear ended before all this started and the collision repair guys dropped the tank to replace the skid plate.
What I can say is that I learned a lot in the process and, for my frustrations; I got a Howell TBI out of it – which is outstanding IMO. And the lesson learned is NEVER LET ANYONE ELSE WORK ON MY CJ BUT ME (with the sound technical advice of this forum, of course).
Ch3ater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acceleration stutter , hesitation , lag , nutter , overheat , vapor lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.