Fiberglass Windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass Windshield

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
pf1130

Fiberglass Windshield

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with fiberglass windshields. My CJ's windshield is begining to show rust around the top edge, and rather than spend time curing the rust and having it possibly come back later, Im thinking of just getting a new one since all of the other body work has been done and its going to paint very soon. Will I have any problems with a fiberglass windshield on an original steel body? Reccomend any companies? Thanks ahead of time for any advice you guys may have.

1985 CJ-7, I6-258, T-176, 1" Body lift, Weber 38/38, 1 piece Superiors, 4.11's, RE 2.5" Lift, Doetsch Tech Shocks, KC HiLites, TFI Ignition, 33" Pro Comp M/T's, TSM Rear Disc Conversion, and too many replacement parts,...
-----------------------
pf1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I spoke with one of the manufacturers (4WD Hardware) a few years back and they told me that they don't recommend it unless you have a hard top and always run with it on. The fiberglass windshield frames flex and the windshield can pop out of them.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Jeepfreakmike

pf1130

I have a Fibertech Industries (http://www.fibertechind.com/) windshield frame (old steel one had rust holes under the seal). The problems I had are 1. Had to get glass cut (stock glass was a little smaller) 2. Rubber seal did not work (glass place used some kind of adhesive to hold it in) 3. Wiper pivot locks, spacers and linkage was a pain to get connected. 4. Had to run a ground to the wiper motor (spent 2 hours trying to figure out why wiper motor did not work, I was an idiot) 5. Windshield channel (part that holds the soft top on) kept pulling the screws out . I put expanding steel dry wall anchors in (that has been working). It looks great now! But if I could do it again I would get a Steel frame
When I break this frame (have laid the jeep on its side and frame has held up) I am hoping that JP Off-Road has made an Aluminum windshield frame.
WARNING THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!
Hope this helps
Mike

My 81 http://www.jeepaholics.com/rides/view.asp?id=1673

Last edited by Jeepfreakmike; 01-19-2005 at 10:10 AM..
Jeepfreakmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
pf1130

thanks guys

i was going to go the fiberglass route to save my self headaches, im glad you guys chimed in. Gonna try to repair the one i got or get a reproduction steel one, thanks.
1985 CJ-7, I6-258, T-176, 1" Body lift, Weber 38/38, 1 piece Superiors, 4.11's, RE 2.5" Lift, Doetsch Tech Shocks, KC HiLites, TFI Ignition, 33" Pro Comp M/T's, TSM Rear Disc Conversion, and too many replacement parts,...
-----------------------
pf1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Does anyone have a manufacturer of steel reproduction frames that they have had good luck with?

I have a fiberglass one now but it broke around the wiper linkage and my repair didn't last very long. I am thinking I should go with a steel frame but I HATE rust and I have heard stories about some that were very thin and poorly built (can't remember what suppliers though ) My holes along the top for the hardtop are also all stripped.
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, mine needs a new frame also and you guys just answerd the questions I had. Steel all the way baby!
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
h2oman

Try CollinsBrosjeep.com. It's a junkyard in Texas that i've had pretty good luck with....Just tell them what your lookin for & in what condition, & see if they have it....They also sell some reproduction steel parts like doors-hoods etc....I've never had to check on windshield frames though---Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJMCCONNELL
Does anyone have a manufacturer of steel reproduction frames that they have had good luck with?

I have a fiberglass one now but it broke around the wiper linkage and my repair didn't last very long. I am thinking I should go with a steel frame but I HATE rust and I have heard stories about some that were very thin and poorly built (can't remember what suppliers though ) My holes along the top for the hardtop are also all stripped.
1978 cj-5-mated to a 94 wrangler in a strange experimen
1979 cj7, best $5000 jeep that $13,000 can buy
2006 POWER WAGON-'nuff said.'
h2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
duke_350

just remember, there are different manufacturers for steel and glass parts. you get a nice glass frame and you wont have any problems. something else to look into would be stainless or aluminum. i had a full glass jeep and never had a problem with it. but then again i was at a body shop at the time, so i didnt skimp and try to keep prices low. i bought quality parts. as far as holes stripping out, fiberglass isnt made to just use steel screws on, i would use bolts and blind nuts for backing. matter o fact, i would do the same on steel, 19-20 gua steel wont hold up to much force either.
duke_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for the replys.

I don't think the glass frame I have now would have given me any problems if it wasn't previously broken. Its working now but I just need to plan to get a new one on there sometime. I would like to go aluminum but $$ I will have to do some more looking around. Any links to aluminum frames?
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
Unread 05-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't a fiberglass windshield be hard to see through? I only thought they were made outta clear glass?

ahahahhaaha

Sorry, couldn't resist that one,
TheJunkMan2005

P.S. I might have a good steal windshield frame if you're interested. Email me at
TheJunkMan2005@aol.co(M)
and I'll go take a good look at it, and take some pics for you.
Unread 05-27-2005, 04:43 AM   #11
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

JunkMan,
Yeah if you have pics. Shipping might make it not worth while. But who knows. I think I am most likely go for a new reproduction frame.

--John
MY RIG

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.