Fiberglass vs Steel Jeep Bodies - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass vs Steel Jeep Bodies

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #61
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I've seen even 4wd tubs vary quite a bit.

Compared to jdarq tub, mines pretty good.
I've got the front mounts and no flex at all up front.

Seems to be a magnet for carts, tractors and pickups that have rolled into it over the years. nary a scratch.

Finish was great but the person I got it from was a great body man. Maybe he did something with it.

Only problem I have is the lengthened rocker height were it doesn't match the fender well. and the curvature of the left rear corner. Made for problems fitting Bestop Supertop.

I did see some FG tubs with one wall were stepping into tub would flex it. You could grab the door opening and flex it /
Maybe that is were they got their bad rep.

Only other problem is No drain plugs. Turns into a big wash tub in a rain storm and have to bail out the water...

I had thought about painting rust onto the FG tub so my fellow jeepers don't scorn me...

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I am not picking on holliewood because this is a common philosophy behind steel vs glass and it simply cracks me up and is funny as hell and the first example of it in this discussion.

If I wheeled any vehicle in the woods or on the rocks and body damage was even remotely possible, I would not not give a rats *** what it looked like including dents, scratches, rust, dents or holes. So the cheapest option would prevail, a rusty steel body would be tub of choice.

I just can't see smacking trees as relevent.
I would have to agree. And as far as the comment about "mall crawlers, sand dunes, or mud boggers"...
I ran solid motor mounts for years, with the cage only tied into the frame in the front, and bolted to the body in the rear.
The amount of flex/abuse/stress put on my fiberglass body over the years has been A LOT.
But on the other hand, I have seen very weak fiberglass bodies too (as John mentions above).
But just because it's a fiberglass unit, don't think it doesn't get abused
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #63
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

No flex in my glass tub, even before I rebuilt it, and I would wheel it anywhere I chose to wheel it. Properly laid glass is very strong. If you think it will explode when you rub up against a tree, you are wrong. My tub did not have the rear-most body mounts, and I had to build those. It was an earlier model tub, and I had to make some mods to the frame-to-body mounts in the middle. It didn't just "go on". No way it could have and been properly mounted. I have no idea what brand it is. I would rather modify aftermarket glass than aftermarket steel. Heating and cooling steel brings another set of problems to the table. Once you figure it out, it isn't a big deal. But the same applies to glass... once you figure it out. There is a learning curve to both models. If you've never had a glass tub, and if you have never repaired or modded a glass tub, you cannot speak intelligently about it. We need comments from Jeepers who have that experience... the good and bad experiences.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #64
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Only thing I can say about mine other than that was the main reason I bought it - it had the glass tub and fenders and was in good shape - is that I have jackknifed it with my M416, and it broke the side marker light and bent the handle on the corner of the trailer. I heard a crunch, thought I was going to have a large hole, but I only have a light scratch in the gelcoat. I have drove it daily for the past 5 years, wheeled it a few times, and used it for yard work. I have a crack in the paint along the front where the cowl meets the part going up to the windshield. It is a double walled tub. Not certain on mfgr.

My uncle many years ago swapped a 'glass tub onto his early '7, and when he saw my 78 tub he was impressed with how much better it was made than his was, it was a single walled 4WDH version since that was all that was offered back in the early 80's. He never really did more than DD it, maybe some yard work. I guess it held up well, until the kid he sold it to wrapped it around a phone pole because he couldn't responsibly handle the 327 power in it.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #65
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

As we all know. I love my FG tub but I just saw the ONLY way steel is better than FG.

Fire!

With steel you will have a tub left. Maybe even reusable if fire wasn't that bad. With fiberglass, you will just have a pile of glass strands.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #66
1983 CJ7 

John,

I don't know this for fact but I bet that tub will require a full coat of filler to smooth out the waves from the heat.

I guess there is room for a hybrid tub <<< plastic coated steel
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #67
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
As we all know. I love my FG tub but I just saw the ONLY way steel is better than FG.

Fire!

With steel you will have a tub left. Maybe even reusable if fire wasn't that bad. With fiberglass, you will just have a pile of glass strands.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
You're not saying yours just burnt are you?!?!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #68
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

Fire? never thought about that. Does heat affect FG tubs much?

Quote:
... If you're worried about budget, I suggest you stay away from Jeeps!
Where was this sage advice 9 years ago? Haha
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHound View Post
Fire? never thought about that. Does heat affect FG tubs much?
Only when it gets to the flash point!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #70
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Kinda like burning a ping pong ball....
Here is a test :

See if you can figure out what parts are/were fiberglass and what parts are steel...

Unread 08-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #71
1983 CJ7 

Is a body lift mandatory with the 4WD tub?
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #72
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Is a body lift mandatory with the 4WD tub?
The way the body is designed and the thickness of the floors, it equates to about 1" of body lift. I will add that it is perfect spacing and I'd probably still add 1" if the body wasn't designed this way. I don't know how non 4wd tubs mount, but I'd assume similarly?

I went with the minimum body mount height necessary when installing and am 100% happy with the added clearance between the tub and gas tank, frame rails, etc. It was VERY helpful when installing last pieces after the tub was installed. Without it I would have had to have dropped the gas tank to install rear seat and vent hose clamp. It also helps clear my 33"s with 3" lift.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #73
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

I like fiberglass too

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #74
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
I like fiberglass too

Show-off

Unread 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #75
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
The way the body is designed and the thickness of the floors, it equates to about 1" of body lift. I will add that it is perfect spacing and I'd probably still add 1" if the body wasn't designed this way. I don't know how non 4wd tubs mount, but I'd assume similarly?

I went with the minimum body mount height necessary when installing and am 100% happy with the added clearance between the tub and gas tank, frame rails, etc. It was VERY helpful when installing last pieces after the tub was installed. Without it I would have had to have dropped the gas tank to install rear seat and vent hose clamp. It also helps clear my 33"s with 3" lift.
Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.