Fiberglass vs Steel Jeep Bodies - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass vs Steel Jeep Bodies

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
handydan

you know, I have seen a lot of steel bodied CJ's rusting away in junk yards but hell if I have ever seen a fiberglass bodied CJ in a junk yard. must say something. as for reducing the selling price of the jeep, I doubt anyone can show me statistics that steel bodied jeeps get more at resale than fiberglass. from what I have seen it makes little to no difference. anyone worth their weight in cup cakes who really looks over CJ before buying it might find some rust on steel. I would sure use that as a negotiating tool. wont find that on a glass body. you might find some cracks, but again, in all my years at lookin at CJ's and I've seen hundreds, steel and glass, don't see many glass ones with cracks. I love my glass bodied CJ and have for 14 years. its been all over the mountains and still looks great. but its like anything else, take care of it and it will take care of you.

handydan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydan View Post
you know, I have seen a lot of steel bodied CJ's rusting away in junk yards but hell if I have ever seen a fiberglass bodied CJ in a junk yard. must say something. as for reducing the selling price of the jeep, I doubt anyone can show me statistics that steel bodied jeeps get more at resale than fiberglass.
I'm calling "nonsense" on that comment.

It's well known that an original steel-bodied Cj in good condition will bring far more than a comparable fiberglass restoration. There's absolutely no debating that fact.

Heck, I just looked at a unmolested gem of a CJ8 for sale near me. 68K original miles, bone stock, and well maintained. He wanted $19K for it and will get it. I was tempted, but I don't need another garage queen.

Anyway, carry on....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
handydan

call nonsense all you want. its also well know that a gem of any car with low miles will fetch more than a daily driver. we're not talking collectables here fella, we're talking your everyday get out and do some driving CJ's and I stand by my statement that no one can show me any statistics beyond "I just looked at a unmolested gem of a CJ8 for sale near me" that will show there is any significant difference in resale value. your opinion or it's well known does not constitute statistics. one example of a gem or even ten examples of a gem do not establish general market value they establish market value of gems with low miles. one more thing to consider is the savings of glass over steel. so if I get 2k less for my glass i'm still ahead. now if we are talking building a collectable vehicle and saving it for a raining day to sell to a collector or museum and make some money, I agree, steel is best. but for an everyday lets go gets some beer, glass would be an acceptable choice and after the beer is gone you'll get the same money as billy down the street does for his.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

It's not about statistics or any being better then the other. I doubt there is any scientific test out that that would give anything your looking for. It seem you are just trying to start an argument on the board.

We get it you like fiberglass and others like steel.

Get over it.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Edit: Handy is correct, fiberglass is the only way to roll.

There, I hope he and the OP feel better.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
handydan

tuff for you guys to stay on topic. the thread, at least as I understand it, is which is a good choice and we should try to help others make an educated choice. isn't that what forums are for, education? I put my two cents in for glass. i have had four CJ's, two steel and two glass. So i have years of experience with both and as I said glass is an acceptable choice for an everyday driver and at the end of the day you will get the same money if you sell it. i know this from personal experience. I can tell that marketing or market data is something you're not to keen on or clear about, so be it. not trying to start a fight and i'm clueless to why you would even make such a comment. but when people say things that they cant back up with data of any kind to support their supposition, it is just an opinion.

nice try on the age matty but you're not even close. again why make such childish comments. someone comes here to add their experience to a subject and they get jumped on for doing it, really? get with the topic boys, i'm sure you have some experience you can share with the forum instead of acting like whinny little girls. grow up.
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #37
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydan
I doubt anyone can show me statistics that steel bodied jeeps get more at resale than fiberglass. from what I have seen it makes little to no difference.
He's one for you. I'll give you half for a glass tub vs. a comparable steel tub. If i even get off the couch to go look at a glass tubed Jeep.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I think what it comes down to is how you plan to use it. A glass tub would never work for me, as I wheel my cj fairly hard and mostly in wooded areas where chances of getting against a tree is good. If I had a glass tub it would be busted to pieces atleast with steel I can beat it back half way straight. Now for a mall crawler or someone that rides dunes or a mud bogger I think glass would be great. It comes down to what suits your needs.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Chatham is entitled to his view of course.

Handy Dan...

Hmmm, join date, post count, thread participation count...

And only 50 miles apart?

Chatham is entitled to his view, too?

If you want a plastic Jeep, good for you! Enjoy it! It's NOT a p!$$!ng contest.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #40
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I've had my glass body for just under 22 yrs and I couldn't be happier with it. It has been on it's side twice, rear ended once and the body can take a beating and still look good doing it. My Jeep is nowhere near stock so if i where to ever sell it (which I won't) I wouldn't try to market it as a stock body collectable. I've been offered a good deal of money for it and the people that have offered wanted it more because it is fiberglass. Some of them had stock Jeeps that the steel bodies where pretty shot and didn't want to deal with the steel body anymore. I've worked on enough Jeeps that where rusting out that I appreciate my fiberglass body more.
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #41
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I have to say, I've been very happy with the way mine has held up. If anybody has seen some of the pictures I've ever posted from some of the sand drags, my fiberglass body has been thru A LOT of flex/twisting, and I have never seen any cracks from it.
Same way with my dads. His Jeep has been together for I believe 30+ years now with the same fiberglass body and the same abuse. No cracks.
I will say though my hood has some cracks in it due to me leaving the hood unlatched once, and making a pass down the track
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #42
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Sad to say, but he does better than a lot of people that were born, raised, and (gulp) went to school in THIS country.

thank You my friends!!!!!
For me, it is very important to speak Your language if I come here;
on the other hand, it is a big aid to made some progress, but that is not the subject of the post
jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #43
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

caution: my mind of the value of my car is only on the french market;
on the other hand, I think this: if You made a good maintenance of Your car, it is egal steel or synthetic: mine is in steel, and at this moment, I made 100 miles all week end, and I have made 5000 miles in 1 year;
I search my heating wood in mountains, very strong conditions of use, but I had very few problems (the origin of these problems was a bad do it yourself of the last owner)
but I am certain that if I had a synthetic body than I had a big problem: the second day when I go to the forest, my car is going in the ravine; they had broken a 25 cm tree, and had stop 35-40 m down against 2 other trees after putting these up;
the result? only the left corner out and the left rear fender deformed (sure the light broken!!!) All is repairable but I found an YJ body and I want made the swap, while YJ was nickeled and this reduce de rost problem;
What where it happened with resin???
jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #44
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Why does everyone act like fiberglass will break apart if you look at it funny? Given the choice I prefer clean steel too, but there's really nothing wrong with fiberglass either. Fiberglass is going to survive a little contact offroad with maybe some scratches that would dent a steel body. I'm talking about normal offroad crawling contact here, not driving into a brick wall at high speed of course. Its a little more forgiving than thin gauge sheet metal IMHO.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #45
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I'm finding this thread interesting. I own an 84 CJ7 that had a rough life. It's body lived 15 years in the rough Wisconsin and northern Illinois winters. My wife at the time went to get into it, stepped on the side step and it bent down. She kicked it back up into place and stepped inside. Her foot wnet through the floor pushing the carpet down. She walked into the house and said "Time for that fiberglass body. That was back in 1999. I put a 4wd glass body on and never looked back. I now live on the ocean, so the glass body hasn't had any relief from salt. When I put the glass body on, the frame was coated with POR15 and is holding up pretty good, but the body is pretty much the same as it was when I put it on. It has a few scratches and the clearcoat is shot from the Florida sun, but the body is sound and still looking good. The hood flew up on me once when I forgot to latch the hood latches. I was doing 40 when it flew up. you can't even tell it except for the bent steel windshield frame which is the only rust on the Jeep. It hasn't seen the inside of a garage or much of a full top since the glass body was put on. Show me one steel bodied Jeep that has gone through what mine has and looks as good.
dsc_0599.jpg  

Last edited by Nereussailor; 08-15-2013 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Pics too big
Nereussailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.