Fiberglass tubs - cutting a tailgate out? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass tubs - cutting a tailgate out?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have a glass CJ where the PO had cut and installed a tailgate. He didn't do a good job. I closed the hole back up and made it solid again. Then I repaired all the cracks after all the flexing the body had done. You're going to have that somewhat anyway, but I think it is worse with that big gaping hole back there. That being said, do what you want. Make it look the way you want it to look.

When the term frame was mentioned, many tubs have 1/4 plywood sandwiched between the inner and outer layers to give it more stiffness or for mounting points. The plywood is found in stress areas. If you cut a hole, be sure and seal it up good so it doesn't get wet. It will rot between the glass layers.

A cutoff wheel is the best thing to cut glass accurately. It will not burn the glass. It will make dust! Cover yourself up as much as you can bear, then liberally dust yourself with baby powder anywhere you have exposed skin. The baby powder will help keep the dust out of your pores.

Last thought... if you use a tire carrier nobody will ever see your tailgate!

Good luck.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

I have thought about the tire carrier VS. tail gate situation. I don't want to mount a tire carrier to the tub for obvious reasons... And good bumper mounted carriers or other work arounds?
HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I have a glass CJ where the PO had cut and installed a tailgate. He didn't do a good job. I closed the hole back up and made it solid again. Then I repaired all the cracks after all the flexing the body had done. You're going to have that somewhat anyway, but I think it is worse with that big gaping hole back there. That being said, do what you want. Make it look the way you want it to look.

When the term frame was mentioned, many tubs have 1/4 plywood sandwiched between the inner and outer layers to give it more stiffness or for mounting points. The plywood is found in stress areas. If you cut a hole, be sure and seal it up good so it doesn't get wet. It will rot between the glass layers.

A cutoff wheel is the best thing to cut glass accurately. It will not burn the glass. It will make dust! Cover yourself up as much as you can bear, then liberally dust yourself with baby powder anywhere you have exposed skin. The baby powder will help keep the dust out of your pores.

Last thought... if you use a tire carrier nobody will ever see your tailgate!

Good luck.
Cut off was what you told me and it worked perfectly.

That is the reason i don't have a spare yet. I love reading Jeep as i walk up.
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Does anyone have some good bumper mounted spare tire suggestions?

I do agree with Jeeprage, I'd just love to walk up and see Jeep on the back.
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Tailgate vs no tailgate is personal preference. If you like the tailgate look and have the skill to do it I'd say go ahead. My CJ5 doesn't have a tailgate and liked the look which is another reason I bought it. I don't see much use for one on a '5' with a back seat.
OrangeCJ-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Cut off was what you told me and it worked perfectly.

That is the reason i don't have a spare yet. I love reading Jeep as i walk up.
That's classic, Rage!! I can see how you feel.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #22
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

There's a body shop near me where I know there are some Jeepers as well. I might go talk to them and see what there opinion is as well.
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #23
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
That's classic, Rage!! I can see how you feel.
It just goes so well with CJ7 and AMC badges.
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Is there a good way of identifying the brand of tub that I have? I'm curious as to what brand it is and where it was made.

Thanks!
Heath
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathFinnie View Post
Is there a good way of identifying the brand of tub that I have? I'm curious as to what brand it is and where it was made.

Thanks!
Heath
None that I am aware of... I have no idea what mine is. It is "older" though, and it was pretty beat up when I got it. It used to bug me, but I am over it!

Unread 07-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

I have an older 4wd tub and there is a part number tag on the bottom of the cowl in the passenger area on the drivers side. I think it was actually sealed in with resin if I remember correctly
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.