fiberglass tub and wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fiberglass tub and wiring harness

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-28-2001, 11:02 PM   #1
OlllllllO JEEP

fiberglass tub and wiring harness

I am about to ATTEMPT to install a new fiberglass tub on a 1980 CJ7. The wiring scares me. Has anyone ever done a tub before? Is it difficult? Should I fork up the $$ and pay someone to do it right? How do I find out about getting a wiring harness? If you have any answers for me please send them to IMNOTYOU@aol.com Thanks for your hellp.

Unread 12-28-2001, 11:40 PM   #2
Crash&Burn

Do you still have your old harness? It should work ok, just have to run ground wires to each device.
OLLLLLO--are you in the KC Jeep Club??

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 09:53 AM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

Well you may be in luck with a cj7 they make painless wire systems for them and they from what i hear are fairly easy to install.They are marked so you know were are the wires go.They dont make them for an 87 wrangler so i myself am not in luck.But i have seen them and they look fairly easy.You can try 4x4 hardware or jeepdoc.com They may have them instock.Good luck
Unread 12-29-2001, 09:50 PM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The painless harness is easy or you can use your stock harness with a return ground on everything . On your jeep the tub acts as the ground and you lose this when you go to fiberglass . Even with my painless harness I have a bussbar with a direct ground to the frame under the dash . It makes it a lot easier than pulling a ground for everything to the frame and it leaves under the dash neat and relativley wire free . Hope this helps and happy jeepin .
Unread 12-30-2001, 06:57 AM   #5
Iver

Ive done 2 fiberglass bodies so far. If you dont have any electrical experience, its going to be tough to try and reuse your old harness, especially if it has been damaged. You may want to buy a new harness, they are not real hard to put in. If youve got some electrical Knowledge, then i suggest just using your old one. Just remember that which ever way you go, you need run a ground wire from all lights,and guages to the frame. Run one ground wire from the metal dash board to the frame, this will take care of all the gauges on the dashboard. Run a ground wire to frame from all your lights, front, rear, and side markers. Run ground wire to frame from the fuel sending unit.Be sure to ground the starter solenoid also, or it will never turn over. Buy yourself a Haynes manual. They have wiring diagrams in them which will be very helpful. Good Luck
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 08:27 PM   #6
AeroViper1

I don't know if you've already installed everything...but Centech's Harness....(JP)...Is a good one...plus it's $100 cheaper...Just put it in my 84 CJ7, Has instructions for fiberglass bodies and how to ground
AeroViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2002, 01:26 PM   #7
manhattanjeep

I would definitely go with a new harness. The wires in your jeep are old, and it would be worth it to have new wires, and a new fuse block to work with. Good luck. Post some pics when you are done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.