fiberglass tub and taillights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fiberglass tub and taillights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
clubbs

fiberglass tub and taillights

I grounded the plate in the housing to the frame and got left turn and running lights on both, but no right turn, brake or backup lights. What am i missing?

Thanks in advance
Dave

clubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

You grounded both light housings? Make sure the b/u lights are plugged in on transmission and by bulkhead connector, and maybe check that the bulbs are still ok.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
clubbs

Yes both lights are grounded to the frame. I got reverse lights to work (fuse). Everything on the left side started working fine but i cant explain why. I pulled the bulbs out and used my meter to check for voltage and i get 12v in all scenarios on both lights but there must not be enough current to light the right bulbs. If i take both grounds off everything works but its very dim. So i fiddled grounds and couldnt make any progress. I cut the trailer light harness out and respliced the right hand light into the harness ahead of its original connection at the left hand light plug and still no changes? Do i have a bad bulkhead connector or fuse block? All this worked before the glass tub swap.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
clubbs

Replaced one of the flasher things in the fuse block still same problem. Guess ill replace the other one tomorrow. Any ideas???
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
clubbs

Found another flasher in my parts bin, still same problems. It must be grounding back through other circuits when i take the grounds off, but atleast i know the wires are good. When i ground one or both lights the driverside works fine but the pass side only gets reverse and running light. Take all grounds off and everything works but its very dim. I hate jeeps! Once this one is finished its going back to its original owner and i hope to never have another one in my garage.
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

So you have power for brake/turn but no light lighting? Have you tried a different bulb? Did you install the bulb correctly? I know they have asymmetric posts to help put them in right, but they can at times still be put in backwards..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
clubbs

Yes i checked the bulbs. Even swapped the whole light housing. I have voltage just no current. I think its something in the harness or maybe the column, i just hope i dont have to take the column out again
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Hate to say it but usually voltage but no current is a bad ground.... someplace..

Check the ground at the tail light with a VOLTMETER. if you have any voltage on ground, then you have a bad ground.

Ground meter at battery for this test.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
clubbs

I checked grounds and even grounded the lights back to the battery. I just pulled the column harness connection apart and it all tested ok. Shot it with WD40 and now the lights work... must have been a culprit of the water leaks this thing has had since it was new. I have to rhino line the interior hang the tire carrier, new shift boots, and new cowl gasket then it goes home... finally. This will be my last jeep frp body swap, and hopefully the last cj i have go through here. That said many thanks to this forum and the great people who have more patience and knowledge about these seemingly simple quaint yet menacing vehicles.

Dave

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.