Fiberglass top question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass top question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

Fiberglass top question

If this is a repeat, Im sorry, but I gotta get my 50 post in. Want to post some pictures something fierce.
My 85 CJ7 has a new soft top, and it came with a hard top of questionable origin. It fits the tub and I can secure it on the sides but I dont see how it attaches on the windshield. The channel for the softop is on the front, top edge of the window, but I don't see any way to attach the hard top to the window frame. I have pretty much exhausted the guy I got the jeep from with questions and I dont want to pester him anymore. He never used the hard top himself anyway. What am I missing?

Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

You have to remove the soft top windshield header. The top should have a built in metal band at top you screw into the windshield from the inside of jeep.
BLEEDNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

The top itself does not have a metal band. I just noticed that the top of the wind shield frame has holes drilled in it as well as the top has a lip that would fit about the same spot. The bolts just go thru the frame of the window into the Fibergalass top? I was afraid that I might be missing some parts.
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
TDHofstetter

The screws go THROUGH THE TOP INTO the windshield frame. They point outward, not inward.
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

I wish I had a visual. Please don't think I'm an idiot. Everyone around here has Wranglers and I doubt they are the same.
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
TDHofstetter

Ask and receive.

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

While very good pics above, they won't help you as they are of the first style of CJ-7 top found from 76 to 81ish. The later ones use the mentioned metal strip along the front just as the 87 to 95 YJ (wranglers) do.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
TDHofstetter

Interesting - that top (as far as I know) has been on my '86 CJ7 since it left the factory.
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

I see, I see. I need to set my top back on, but I think I understand. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.