Fiberglass Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass Jeep?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
CJ8DV8

Fiberglass Jeep?

Hi Gang -

I'm in desperate need of a tub to assist me in the quest for floorboards and a bed for my Jeep. Due to the fact that its a CJ8, I'm limited in my options. Here's where I am now and why:

1. Only 'glass tubs are 4WD Hardware, Shell Valley and AJ's, that I know of.
2. I want to get it with color gelcoat (black) so I don't have to paint it. That leaves Shell Valley and AJ's.
3. Last Fall when I checked availability, AJ's JUST began making CJ8 tubs. I'm not too thrilled about buying one of the first off the line, if you know what I mean.
4. That leaves Shell Valley, but I read about fit and finish problems with their Kevlar tubs. There is little room for adjustment if I get it with color gelcoat.

I would spec the standard 'glass- not Kevlar (limited $ and I don't need a bulletproof Jeep).

Also, what if any experience have you guys had with the tilt one-piece noses? Are they worth it or is it all show? How about the 'glass windshield frames? I've heard they flex when the soft tops are pulled too tight and I should stick with steel. Any problems?

Sorry for all the questions but I value your comments before I buy something this expensive. Also, FYI, I'm a boater and former marine mechanic from way back (also owned 2 Corvettes and a fiberglass Saab Sonnet) so the fiberglass part doesn't bother me at all. I hate rust!!!

What do you think?

Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2002, 06:19 AM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

Quote "I dont need a bulletproof jeep" lol, subtle!
I have a kevlar body with gel coat from shell valley. The material itself is easy to work with and strong. However i am less than impressed with the workmanship, there are numerous fit problems that arent related to the kevlar they just did a shotty job building it. The rear cross member is higher on the passenger side by atleast a 1 1/2". The tail gate did not line up or even close flush without some grinding. The tub came in a nice and sturdy cardboard crate (sarcasim) that allowed a few scratches. as you can tell im not an advocate for shell valley.
I have heard of windshields eventually popping out of the bottom of the frame when used with a softop but i have had no problems with my kevlar so far(3k miles)
I dont have any experience with the one piece front end, had planned in the beginning but decided that it was too much work, and didnt know if it would work (tipping foreward ) with a winch on the front bumper.
What ever you decide, the best piece of advice i have is to check it out thoroughly before you drill any holes or bolt it on, and make them take it back if you are unsatistfied with the quality.
I found that the roto zip tool or a roto zip bit in a dremel tool which i used works great for cutting out the odd shape holes like the gas filler and steering column etc.
There is another company called mallote i think that carries fiberglass jeep bodies.
AJ's just began building cj8 bodies but they are probably not that much different in terms of quality than the cj5 and cj7 tubs that they have been producing for a while, just a thought.
hope this helps some, if you have any specific questions feel free to e-mail me.
jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
CJ8DV8

Hi Bulletproof-

I think it was one of your previous posts that I read about your fit and finish problems with Shell Valley's Kevlar tub.

I didn't mean the "bulletproof" remark as a bust on you - It's just that I use my Jeep 99.9% on-road, mostly around town, and don't need the added strength or cost of a Kevlar body. Shell Valley assured me that their standard 'glass body is fine for my purpose.

Actually, it was the Shell Valley rep that suggested I stay away from the 'glass windshield frame if I plan to use a full length soft-top. He said that it would be OK with the half tops, either soft or hard. At least he was honest about it and gave me fair warning. If I do decide to go the Shell Valley route, I would definitely make it known that I'll be looking for the fit and finish problems you mentioned. Maybe they can give the factory a "heads up" and do a good job (wishful thinking, maybe?).

I feel the one-piece nose has a high PITA factor, also, and question if it is it really worth the work and cost. Relocating solenoids, washer and overflow bottles, jack, horn, radiator support work and more might not be worth the advantage of having more room to work on the engine (or is it?). I don't have a winch so the forward tilt aspect is not a problem. Maybe I'll give AJ's another look- It's been a while now.

Thanks for the input. Has anyone else been in my situation and lived to tell about it? What would you do again and what would you do differently if you had to do it again?

Did I mention I hate rust?
Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

My last CJ was Fiberglass Tub from 4WD Hardware, and I was very impressed, to say the least, with the workmanship/fit. I also bought their Fiberglass Windshield Frame and used it with my Bestop Supertop Soft Top for 7 years before I cracked my chassis (rot problems), forcing my CJ to be "parked", LOL. And I did mostly highway driving, and many long road trips at sustained speeds upwards of 90/95MPH (sometimes, I know, stupid, but I was younger then, LOL).

My Tub has since been traded to a local Jeeper (with a couple other miscellaneous items), in an even exchange for the '77 in my signature below with the 360 V8! He needed to do a tub swap due to rot, and he has done it and loves the tub, so it lives on! That tub has got to be at least, lets see, oh, about 12 years old anyways now, and has been thru a lot of abuse from me and the guy who owned it before me. Now it keeps going.

One-Piece Front Ends? Much better/easier to simply put the hood hinges on, and tilt it back like a regular hood. Forward tilting is a PITA and does not get out of the way like tilting back. You take your hood latches and bolt them to the frame rails inside your wheel wells in the front, and clip the whole Front End inside your fenders. Very easy, great setup, have seen it done. You do need to make the other "relocations" and make a radiator support, but the benefits to having your engine wide open (more open than a forward tilt), far outweigh the other work.

I have a Front End I will be listing on Ebay today or tomorrow.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:57 AM   #5
scrambler24

I have no useful experience on this subject but... I do remember reading somewhere about FG winshield frames having problems cracking around the wiper arms, especially in areas of snow or ice when the wipers have an extra load.
Just more food for thought
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

Never had that problem with my FG windshield, and I'm up here where we do get ice storms, snow etc. Mine was a daily driver, so it saw many many miles, both on the highway at speeds up to 90MPH (stupidly I admit), and off-road, getting whacks from tree branches, etc.

As I said, i was also running a full soft top the whole time, which was pulling on it, as well as a bikini top, etc.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.