Fiberglass Body tub mounting question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fiberglass Body tub mounting question

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
dfrye
1978 CJ7 

Fiberglass Body tub mounting question

Morris 4X4 center lists this as a fiberglass body mounting kit. (See it here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fibergl...-12201-03.html)

I have no idea what it is for. I picked up a fiberglass tub the other day and thought I would just need bushings, washers and nuts and bolts? easy peasy right?

Is the mounting application different for a fiberglass tub vs. a steal one?

dfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Sometimes the body mount locations on a 'glass tub don't match up with the frame mount locations. At least on a CJ5 they don't....I'm not sure about CJ7's. The large angle-type pieces in the kit get bolted, or welded to your frame mounts. They create a span across the mounts so that the 'glass tub mounts have a surface to bolt up to.

The kit also includes a dense rubber tube, that is meant to be cut to length. These pieces will be your new rubber mounts. These type of mounts are highly recommended over regular CJ steel tub mounts that are available.

Personally, I would buy the kit, unless you're absolutely positive that your tub mount locations line up with the frame mount locations. If they do, then just buy the rubber tube. It is available separately.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

with a fiberglass body you have to ground everything to the frame.
I would run a full rollcage tied to the frame.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

What rixcj said. I cut the mounts off of my frame and made new ones in the proper location to match the tub.

Unread 12-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
dfrye
1978 CJ7 

okay... thanks guys. starting to make sense now. i'll have to measure the mounting locations on the tub to see what I'm up against. I suppose if they line up okay i'm good to go w/ whatever body mounts I want. Anyway... how does one make sure the fenders and grill line up relative to tub? I suppose it's all sort of relative right? meaning... the tubs don't come pre-drilled... right? Never done this before so... thanks.
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

A good place to start is where the clutch bell crank bracket mounts. The bell crank bracket mounts to the tub. If your tub is too far forward or rearward, your clutch linkage geometry will be whacky. This can make for tough clutch pedal operation. Unless you have a hydraulic clutch....

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

When i rebuilt the frame for mine, i started at the grill. It will stay the same.
I bolted on the fenders and hood, and lined up the tub from there.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
dfrye
1978 CJ7 

okay thanks again. I think the clutch idea is good too in that it gives a preliminary reference point... then grill and fenders to be sure.
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
GPER
1979 CJ7 

That looks like the same kit 4wdh uses for their glass bodies. Here is how mine mounted up when I put a new frame under my glass body.

I found the few pictures that I took of this, I did the frame swap back in 2000. Way before I started my lame write up about stuff.

I just started at the top and worked my way down, I pulled the hard top, I removed the hood grill, fenders, then I used an engine hoist to lift the tub with everything still in it off of the frame.
[img]

Then I started at the bottom of the old frame and worked my way up. I put new brake lines, springs, then the diffs and drive train on to the new frame.

I had to drill holes for the winch mount, the parking brake bracket was too far apart my Runk bumpers wouldn't fit the Matkins frame. You buy a level lll frame and they think you are running stock bumpers.

There were things that wouldn't work so I would have to come up with something or refab it. I even had a front shock tower break off after I was done because there was no penetration in the weld.
[/img][img]

If you are going with a glass body.

[/img]

Just make sure you get the glass body flush with bell crank support to start off with the body. If I can be of any help drop me a line gperx4 at ameritech . com.
[img][/img]

Here are the tabs that need to be welded to the seat frames and they are the seat/ body mounts.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/gperx4/Glass%20body%20mounts/DSCN2024.jpg

This is a pic of my front tub mount, the rubber is about an inch thick.The other mount on the left is for my roll cage so that my not apply to you.
[img]

Here is another pic of the mounting plate, the first mount to the right is the same mount that bolts the front of the passenger seat to.

The middle mount is thicker since the body goes up there, but that is the rear of the passenger side of the front seat mount. Then the mount on the far left is the mount behind the seat in the floor of the tub.
[/img]

Here is the mount for my grill, after the tub is mounted, the fenders bolted to the tub. The fenders will dictate where the grill needs to be so the grill and the fenders can be bolted together. Your height may vary since I am using an after market frame
[img]
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

The little square pieces are welded to the inside of the seat mounts. That way the seat is bolted through the body and into the frame.

GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you can find stainless one's, that would be better. Mine look brand new after several years of plowing snow.
Quadratec.com has two listed but I can't tell if one is SS or not.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12201_03_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/912201_04.htm
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

This is dfrye. I accidentally created a two accounts on the forum. Anyway... I really appreciate the pics... helps a lot! the clutch bracket too! I'm planning on getting starting tomorrow afternoon (dec 31st). I'll see how things line up and order the kit from the link above.
danfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fiberglass tub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.