Fender Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fender Problem

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

Fender Problem

I have a 1979 cj7 304 california model. I just got done painting my vehicle and spraying the wheel well of the fenders. Everything was in pieces. The fenders are replacement fenders that I bought from morris 4x4. They are steel. My problem is I tried to attach the driver side to the tub and grill today and the inner well hits the smog pump. Has anyone ran into this situation? What did you do to rectify the situation? Also the notch that was made for the shock bracket is in the wrong spot. I really screwed up by not checking this stuff before final paint.

mjeckell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I've seen people trim them for the shock mount, had not heard about the smog pump problem. Probably because 98% of the CJ's out there no longer have the smog pumps installed.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

well I need to have the smog pump since it is in california. I cant believe that this has not been posted since all jeeps that are in california must have this equipment on.
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Chuckles0227
1980 CJ5 

the shock cut outs are wrong on my repli fenders too, but i don't have a problem with them. All of the holes still lined up on the grill, and the fender just rubs the shock tower a little bit.
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

Yeah I dont think I am gonna have a problem with the cut-outs any longer. I just need to find a solution to the smog pump. I cant cut that portion of the fender out. That would expose the smog pump and belts to inside the wheel well.
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeckell View Post
well I need to have the smog pump since it is in california. I cant believe that this has not been posted since all jeeps that are in california must have this equipment on.
I thought you guys on the west coast didn't need to replace fenders due to not having any rust...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Sorry, couldn't resist that one... we go through fenders like boots out here. So, I am not all that familiar with the smog pump issue, but is it rubbing, or is it one of those things that you can take the pump off, put the fender on and then put the pump back on and you would be OK?

I am at work and can't see any pictures right now, so I am not sure if you posted any, but from the description, it is hard to tell exactly what the issue is.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

No the smog pump is definitely in the way. I am have thrown away the old fenders months ago. They were that bad. I am assuming the combo of the smog pump as well as the 304 is the issue. I am also assuming that they had to make a different fender for this california jeep. I wish that I had some pictures of the old fender inside.
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
I thought you guys on the west coast didn't need to replace fenders due to not having any rust...

cb
For the most part you are right but some people living on the coast have to deal with the salt air.

trailhead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.