Favorite way of replacing clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Favorite way of replacing clutch?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

Favorite way of replacing clutch?

Hey y'all,
I recently developed a problem with either the pilot bushing/ bearing or the throw out bearing . The symptom is a chattering /screeching/ vibration when I press the clutch in while throttling up the engine, like when you blip the throttle for a downshift.
So, curious what everyone's favorite method is for changing the clutch. Engine out?, or pull the transfer case and transmission from underneath?

Unread 08-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I would leave the engine in. Remove the drive shafts, use a transmission jack to support the trans, unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, pull the trans and transfer case away from the engine. Replace the pilot bushing/bearing while you're in there.
Unread 08-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Folks seem to be very divided on this topic. Some prefer to pull the transmission and tcase together and or even leave the bellhousing on the transmission. Some prefer the transmission jacks etc.

Ive done a ton of these and for me, I prefer to use one jackstand and a floorjack. I support the tcase with the floorjack, remove bellypan, support under trans with jackstand, remove t case, support under bellhousing and remove trans, then bellhousing. EACH one can be easily removed by hand and replaced the same way allowing for easy spline line up.
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I have done them each way but like to pull the motor.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I prefer to remove the motor. Working from the top is way easier in my book, plus I live in the rust belt where skid plates seldom come off and go back on without serious trouble. Snapped or spun bolts.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Engine! Simpler, cleaner, and quicker unless you have a lot to remove or disconnect before you remove engine.

If it has rollup windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
bob4703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hmm...it never occurred to me to pull the engine to replace a clutch.
That seems like a LOT of extra work to me.

Here's how I do it:

1. Support the engine.
2. Disconnect the rear driveshaft at the t-case.
3. Stick my rolling jack under the skid plate and remove the bolts holding the skid to the frame.
4. Remove the bolts holding the transmission to bell-housing.
5. Slide transmissiont/t-case/skid rearward as one unit until the input shaft clears the bell.
6. Remove bell-housing, replace clutch parts, and reassemble.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

I would never pull an engine for a clutch job. Dropping the transmission and transfer case is a lot easier in my opinion.
Unread 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

I too am a supporter of pulling the motor. It gives you a chance to check a couple of other things, such as hoses, motor mounts, clutch linkages, and makes re installation much easier as well. The only real issue can be the exhaust.
Of course, both methods hinge on having the proper tools. If you can get the Jeep up and can actually sit under it, removing the transmission isn't a bad option. Not having an engine hoist can hamstring the engine removal.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
I would never pull an engine for a clutch job. Dropping the transmission and transfer case is a lot easier in my opinion.
Yep. And if you use the method I described above, you don't actually "drop" anything to the ground. You just slide it all rearward.

The transmission and t-case stay attached to each other, and the skid acts like an out-rigger to prevent the assembly from rolling over off the jack. It really does work slick.

Matt
Unread 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980tallcj7 View Post
Hey y'all,
I recently developed a problem with either the pilot bushing/ bearing or the throw out bearing . The symptom is a chattering /screeching/ vibration when I press the clutch in while throttling up the engine, like when you blip the throttle for a downshift.
So, curious what everyone's favorite method is for changing the clutch. Engine out?, or pull the transfer case and transmission from underneath?

Perfectly timed thread for me! I have the same issue as you have 1980, the throw out bearing make an awful noise when the pedal is depressed. If I go to the trouble of dropping the transmission and transfer case for a bad throw out bearing, I would be crazy not to do the rest of the clutch components while apart.
What kind of area do you have to perform the job? I don't have a garage, but I do have a nice smooth slab of concrete in the back yard. That will make using the floor jack and stands easier.
I like Matt's description of the steps to remove the parts to access the clutch components.
However, I understand Mike's concern regarding skid plate bolts becoming a solid rusted mass.
Here in sunny AZ not so much of a worry. My worry is that a pack rat will have made his nest in the recess of the skid plate and jump out as I am loosening it and startle me enough to bang my head on the frame... After it cools off a bit, (under 100*) I'm going to tackle this chore. So far as I have priced out the parts, LUK clutch kit is very reasonable from Rock Auto even with shipping. Our local Pep Boys has the LUK kit for about $50 more. While you're in the clutch that deep, its a good time to resurface/replace the flywheel and look at the starter ring. I just replaced the starter recently and will be giving the starter ring a close inspection. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jon,

I forgot one step.

Before you slide the transmission/t-case/skid assembly rearward, be sure to disconnect the speedo cable, 4x4 indicator, and reverse light wiring.

Matt
Unread 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Jon,

I forgot one step.

Before you slide the transmission/t-case/skid assembly rearward, be sure to disconnect the speedo cable, 4x4 indicator, and reverse light wiring.

Matt
Ummm, didn't see any mention bout the front driveshaft, of shifters either
Unread 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
LOL
you have never tried to install a clutch in an early Bronco
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #15
CSP

The transmission and tcase can be out faster than the fluids drain and engine wiring is disconnected IMO.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.