fast idle cam problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fast idle cam problems

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Bolivia
1982 CJ7 

fast idle cam problems

Hi all

I have just recently rebuilt my Carter BBD carb. I think have followed the BBD manual for proper setup to for placing the fast idle screw on the second step and other related adjustments.

The problem is engine starts and choke plate opens normally as engine gets hot. After of minute of fast idle I hit the throttle to knock down the fast idle, and the fast idle cam falls completely forward between fast idle screw. At times the engine continues to run, dies or pop sounds are heard from the carb which I think is too fuel entering carb.

What adjustment have I missed to have cam stay in position and drop to a lower idle speed?

Jim aka Bolivia

Bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

There is another screw [curb idle screw] that is suppose to set the low speed idle.
The high speed idle screw should not contact the high speed cam after the choke warms up.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

choke not tight enough

auto chokes are functional but "primitive". the duration that the screw will remain on any of the steps after your running and have touched the throttle is determined on how tightly you close/set the choke when doing your cold adjustment. the tighter you set it the longer it will "attempt" to keep the fast idle cam in play as you are driving. you can go to tight and wind up with a rich condition so imo if you have the choke set so that when you depress the throttle completely on a cold engine and the set screw is on the second step at the correct RPM than dont touch the throttle until you know it is warm enough to idle smoothly and run good. normally about 2 to 3 minutes should do it. thats along time when you just want to jump in and go but its a carburated engine and just part of the package. you may also have a "choke pulloff" and its job is to insure that the choke plate opens with any throttle movement off high idle.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Bolivia
1982 CJ7 

fast idle cam problems

Thanks for the reply back with this simple problem. I will go ahead and correct this.

Jim
Bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.