Which fan will fit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which fan will fit?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
burley
1976 CJ5 

Which fan will fit?

PO put in a new radiator which is larger than stock it looks like. I'm measuring about 2.5" of room behind the radiator and 2.75 in front.

I was planning on getting a ford torus/contour/mk VIII fan but now wonder if theres room. Why would you replace a radiator and not a fan? In Arizona? Can you a Jeep without a fan??

Ideas?

image-586353364.jpg   image-2120309916.jpg   image-1837133514.jpg  
burley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Was there a fan that you removed? Why do you want to install an electrical fan?

If there was a four bladed solid mounted fan with no clutch there, that was stock. Not even a shroud.

I'm in Arizona and I'm still running the stock cooling system with no problems whatsoever. It can sit all day and idle or drive across the desert with not a smattering of overheating.

This is stock, and yes the fan is close.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Was there a fan that you removed? Why do you want to install an electrical fan?

If there was a four bladed solid mounted fan with no clutch there, that was stock. Not even a shroud.

I'm in Arizona and I'm still running the stock cooling system with no problems whatsoever. It can sit all day and idle or drive across the desert with not a smattering of overheating.

This is stock, and yes the fan is close.
This is how I got the Jeep. I've removed nothing, and the only reason I assume the fan won't fit is because there's not one there now. Thats the only reasonable scenario I could imagine the PO not having one on. If a stock fan will fit, great! I just assumed that I'd have to mound an electric fan on the other side because there's slightly more room.

From my service manual, it looks like I'm just missing a 4-blade fan and spacer, right?
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
burley
1976 CJ5 

And no fan clutch was used on the 258 in '76? Just in the 304 and 258s after '81?
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

CJs in '76 did have a heavy duty cooling package available, and it was available for a 258. Most base model Jeeps didn't have it and it doesn't look like yours did either. If your Jeep had A/C, it had the HD cooling system.

The heavy duty had a shroud, a three row radiator, fan clutch and a seven bladed fan.

The standard didn't have a shroud or fan clutch, a two row radiator and a four bladed fan.

Here is a link to the 1976 Jeep Technical Service Manual: http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

Some guys put the Ford Contour electric fan in theirs. I have a base Jeep with the 258, run the stock cooling system and it sits at 190° all day long.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
CJs in '76 did have a heavy duty cooling package available, and it was available for a 258. Most base model Jeeps didn't have it and it doesn't look like yours did either. If your Jeep had A/C, it had the HD cooling system.

The heavy duty had a shroud, a three row radiator, fan clutch and a seven bladed fan.

The standard didn't have a shroud or fan clutch, a two row radiator and a four bladed fan.

Here is a link to the 1976 Jeep Technical Service Manual: http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

Some guys put the Ford Contour electric fan in theirs. I have a base Jeep with the 258, run the stock cooling system and it sits at 190° all day long.
I don't plan on doing heavy offloading, so stock sounds fine to me. Would it be worth it to spend the extra $35 on a fan clutch now, considering it fits?
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
burley
1976 CJ5 

I just installed a 4 blade fan from morris 4x4, and it rubs on the belt. It looks like there's a spacer that needs to be installed, does anyone have a part number?
photo-3.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I went to the closest auto parts store and told them I needed a 2" spacer and they had it...pretty sure that's a generic thing...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather
I went to the closest auto parts store and told them I needed a 2" spacer and they had it...pretty sure that's a generic thing...
Ahh, thanks! I'm such a novice its not funny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.