Which fan will fit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which fan will fit?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
burley
1976 CJ5 

Which fan will fit?

PO put in a new radiator which is larger than stock it looks like. I'm measuring about 2.5" of room behind the radiator and 2.75 in front.

I was planning on getting a ford torus/contour/mk VIII fan but now wonder if theres room. Why would you replace a radiator and not a fan? In Arizona? Can you a Jeep without a fan??

Ideas?

image-586353364.jpg   image-2120309916.jpg   image-1837133514.jpg  
burley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Was there a fan that you removed? Why do you want to install an electrical fan?

If there was a four bladed solid mounted fan with no clutch there, that was stock. Not even a shroud.

I'm in Arizona and I'm still running the stock cooling system with no problems whatsoever. It can sit all day and idle or drive across the desert with not a smattering of overheating.

This is stock, and yes the fan is close.

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Was there a fan that you removed? Why do you want to install an electrical fan?

If there was a four bladed solid mounted fan with no clutch there, that was stock. Not even a shroud.

I'm in Arizona and I'm still running the stock cooling system with no problems whatsoever. It can sit all day and idle or drive across the desert with not a smattering of overheating.

This is stock, and yes the fan is close.
This is how I got the Jeep. I've removed nothing, and the only reason I assume the fan won't fit is because there's not one there now. Thats the only reasonable scenario I could imagine the PO not having one on. If a stock fan will fit, great! I just assumed that I'd have to mound an electric fan on the other side because there's slightly more room.

From my service manual, it looks like I'm just missing a 4-blade fan and spacer, right?
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
burley
1976 CJ5 

And no fan clutch was used on the 258 in '76? Just in the 304 and 258s after '81?
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

CJs in '76 did have a heavy duty cooling package available, and it was available for a 258. Most base model Jeeps didn't have it and it doesn't look like yours did either. If your Jeep had A/C, it had the HD cooling system.

The heavy duty had a shroud, a three row radiator, fan clutch and a seven bladed fan.

The standard didn't have a shroud or fan clutch, a two row radiator and a four bladed fan.

Here is a link to the 1976 Jeep Technical Service Manual: http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

Some guys put the Ford Contour electric fan in theirs. I have a base Jeep with the 258, run the stock cooling system and it sits at 190° all day long.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
CJs in '76 did have a heavy duty cooling package available, and it was available for a 258. Most base model Jeeps didn't have it and it doesn't look like yours did either. If your Jeep had A/C, it had the HD cooling system.

The heavy duty had a shroud, a three row radiator, fan clutch and a seven bladed fan.

The standard didn't have a shroud or fan clutch, a two row radiator and a four bladed fan.

Here is a link to the 1976 Jeep Technical Service Manual: http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

Some guys put the Ford Contour electric fan in theirs. I have a base Jeep with the 258, run the stock cooling system and it sits at 190° all day long.
I don't plan on doing heavy offloading, so stock sounds fine to me. Would it be worth it to spend the extra $35 on a fan clutch now, considering it fits?
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
burley
1976 CJ5 

I just installed a 4 blade fan from morris 4x4, and it rubs on the belt. It looks like there's a spacer that needs to be installed, does anyone have a part number?
photo-3.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I went to the closest auto parts store and told them I needed a 2" spacer and they had it...pretty sure that's a generic thing...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather
I went to the closest auto parts store and told them I needed a 2" spacer and they had it...pretty sure that's a generic thing...
Ahh, thanks! I'm such a novice its not funny.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.