Fan got into radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fan got into radiator?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fan got into radiator?

I'm sure some of you have seen my build thread if not here is the link for the most information on my Jeep CJ5.
-
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/7...ml#post9397390
-
As you can see I finally got it back together and took it for its first trail ride this weekend. Other then very crappy gear ratio of the T150, Dana 20 and 3.54 gears it did pretty good.

I spent the first day just shacking it down making sure everything was ok didn't really tackle anything difficult. On Saturday I decided everything check ok so I started doing some harder climbs. It did awesome until I tried climbing a rock ledge and the front wheels came off the ground about 2-3". Some how even though I started with over an inch of clearance from the radiator to fan the two met and the fan ate up the radiator.

I can not find what flexed and allowed the fan to get into the radiator, nothing is wrinkled in the front and I still have 1" of clearance. The body, motor and transmission mounts are all new and every thing is still tight. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do to keep the fan out of the radiator this was a brand new 3 core radiator I really don't want to another in it and have this happen again.

jds79cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

when my motor mounts gave, I lost a radiator. You might check there first.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
Mounts are brand new Moog it was the first weekend out with them!
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

bummer, next leads to front clip flexing, how are the body mounts?

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
bummer, next leads to front clip flexing, how are the body mounts?
Brand new body mounts also!

This is why I am so baffled I can not find what flexed to allow the fan to move close to 1" and get into the radiator.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
petey156
1977 CJ5 

when i had the factory fan on my 258 there were 2 inches between the raved it pretty hard and diator and fan but one day i renow there is a swirrel mark in the radiator. soon after that i went for an electric fan not problems since.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey156 View Post
when i had the factory fan on my 258 there were 2 inches between the raved it pretty hard and diator and fan but one day i renow there is a swirrel mark in the radiator. soon after that i went for an electric fan not problems since.
I am leaning towards a electric fan my self, did you put a temp sensor or did you just run the fan all the time?
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Happened to me too. Actually I lost a driveshaft which either broke the motor mounts or allowed the engine to jump forward since they were already broken.

When I put it back together (had to get a new radiator), I moved my radiator deeper inside the front clip because there was VERY little room, especially with the aftermarket radiator.

I have an electric fan in my new CJ, which seems better all around.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
syn
1986 CJ7 

I've had that happen twice to me, mind you the first time the engine mounts weren't properly secured and there was half an inch clearance at best. The second time I have no idea what caused it, but to fix my problem I put the radiator on the inside of the grill flanges (I have a 7 so I'm not sure how the mounting differs from your 5). I now have about a solid inch of clearance and I'm going to space it out further this summer.

I am thinking about going to an electric fan though...much less of a hassle. But here's a tip, buy a new radiator from autozone with a lifetime warranty! When I originally bought my CJ and replaced the only radiator I bought a new one from autozone and both times I have butchered it (it was very clear my fan ripped it apart) they took it and gave me a brand new one NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Gotta love lifetime warranties.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

I did the very same thing. I upgraded to a three row core rad, the third row being on the inside. The first time we gave it a real workout "Grrrrrrr" fan cluch into 6 month old rad. It did not leak at the swirl mark so I ran it for the last eight years. I went to an electric fan on a thermostat (in cab cut off switch) I also added another fan between the grill and rad for the hot days at 2mph on the trail, I just wired that with a switch under the hood.
As for flexing, everything flexes the body, frame, motor mounts, everything. The next thing you know the inch of clearance is not enough. If it is close you could try turning the grill surport rods out to the max length

Ted
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I was thinking that the grille rods bowed, allowing things to move. They do seem kinda flimsy.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I noticed the OEM radiator in my CJ was badly damaged in a circular pattern as if the fan hit it (this is with a V8 too, not the I6).

I never understood how this could happen unless the mounts sheered

is it possible the motor mount bushings and tranny mount allow some forward movement? (I haven't looked at them on my CJ yet, dont know if they are different from my YJ).
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I have to concur with Cutlass the grille support rods maybe bowed. The location of the radiator make for a very cozy relationship with the fan blades. Also if the grille was removed and reinstalled the six bolts that tie the grille to the fenders have a decent amount of play in them and could installed to far back.

I would also suspect the fan clutch when I replaced mine it seemed that it was slightly larger and moved the fan toward the radiator.

One thing I did was install the radiator on the front side of the flange in the grille which gave me maybe a 1/4 inch more room.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The radiator mounts (inner grill) on my 5 were very flexible and let the radiator get pushed into the fan once during a session of water wars/soak the passengers (a couple of pieces of angle stiffened it up).
The other times that I trashed radiators were either due to motor mount or transmission mount failure.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at all possibilities of what caused this tells me the one sure cure is to get a electric fan set up and ilimnated the motor mounted fan. I was looking last night at Advance Auto and they have a 16" fan for $79 and adjustable fan controller w/ fuse and relay for $34 that is a heck of a lot cheaper then a new radiator so I guess I'll go that route.

Thanks for all replies!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.