To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I would say you can go with the best of both worlds scenario here.

Family cage and front cage, but not all the way tied in to the floor... this will allow for opening/closing the windows, hard doors, dash pad will still fit... and if you want, you can get the tie ins that go behind and down the pillars and then into the frame.

Visors even work too

it gives a little more protection in the rear as well with the spreader bar for the young uns.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #47
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Modified it a little to still use the dash grab handle

All in all, I used a YJ windshield as well so I used the YJ kit from Rockhard4x4 and used the spreader bars from the family cage to the YJ windshield.

I used YJ windshield wipers as well, which is a slight improvement over CJ.

Yes, this is not a vintage, mint, OEM, NOS, etc. etc. CJ, but it is taken out in the woods and enjoyed! I just used some "improvements" IMO to help get me to where I wanted to be.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #48
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I like that a lot ^^^^^
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I was thinking about doing something similar with the tube clamps to make a removable angled cross brace between the B pillars. That way I could still utilize the seat. Also put one behind the backseat between the down tubes, if it would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
I used YJ windshield wipers as well, which is a slight improvement over CJ.
What is different about their wipers? Curious.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #50
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

I like the set up but, if it were mine i would weld those bars in rather than bolt in with the clamps. The reason is, I have seen those clamps slide and break during a roll over though, it did do what it was intended to by lessening the dammage to the vehicle and the occupants. The fact is it still failed and could have gone a whole lot further south. Now please don't get me wrong that is a great set up for some mild wheeling and a great improvement over the factory rollbar. IMO if you are going to attempt to strengthen the cage, rollbar whatever you wish to call it, go ahead and weld it in just to reduce to chance of failure.
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #51
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Modified it a little to still use the dash grab handle
cb;

Where did you get the tub/dash connection brackets?
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #52
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
cb;

Where did you get the tub/dash connection brackets?

Quote:
...........so I used the YJ kit from Rockhard4x4......
cb
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore

I blame the iPhone for not showing the whole post...
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I would say you can go with the best of both worlds scenario here.

Family cage and front cage, but not all the way tied in to the floor... this will allow for opening/closing the windows, hard doors, dash pad will still fit... and if you want, you can get the tie ins that go behind and down the pillars and then into the frame.

Visors even work too

it gives a little more protection in the rear as well with the spreader bar for the young uns.

cb
This is certifiably good! Nice!
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #55
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

OK... so I had a few PM's asking me if I build these things locally, would I ship, etc.

I used the YJ kit from rockhard4x4 (mentioned above).
I used the YJ kit because I have a 1995 Wrangler tub on my 1978 CJ7.
I used a YJ windshield, so when talking to the guys they said the YJ kit would be the way to go as it uses the existing spreader bars that go and bolt to the windshield.

The CJ kit does not. It loops down in front of the windshield and doesn't attach to it.

So, I can't put down my windshield without a bit of a hassle now... up top bolts and the dash bolts. so, like 8 bolts in all, and they are allen heads, so yeah, I don't go through the hassle all that much.

As for welding it together, yes that is an option, but as for sliding, I don't think that would/could happen the way it is all put together. It is a tight/snug fit to get this all together and once assembled, you really feel how tight this thing is and how it stiffens up the Jeep tremendously. Trust me, I am not banking on anything in a car to save my life, for when your time is up, it is up. This just helps give a little more protection for what I am using it for.

One last thing... the kit is somewhat pricey, but if you were to get the steel and tools to do it yourself, you would be at that price definitely. If you get someone to build it for you, it will cost you a bit as well. Steel prices and labor and tools... it all adds up. I went with what I thought was best and so far so good.

Craig

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #56
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Don't know what kind of pricing other areas have, but around here, a cage, or 'sport cage', custom-built off the stock roll bar is 1000 or less.

There's no way you can buy a bender, the software to use it, and build your own for that, and I don't think any of the store-bought cages are as good...and not sure if they are even significantly cheaper. And having it built specifically for your Jeep allows it to be tailored to exactly what you want.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #57

I too like the look of the classic CJ7 roll bar but needed rear shoulder belts for the kiddos. I went with the full rock hard roll cage and welded in rear sholder belt attach points. I painted mine black but left the original roll bar red so it keeps most of the stock look. With this setup you get a solid front cage, grab handles for front passengers and it only take four bolts to put the windshield down which I do on almost every trail ride.

10129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #58
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I forgot to add that when I got a CJ for parts, someone had swapped in a YJ cage in that... and it had a sound bar in it... so... I just took it and it bolted right in to the spreader bars... very nice addition to have tunes overhead.

Just another thing you can do if you have the spreader bars... I guess this would work on 87-92 sport bar models as well, not sure, but it might work.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #59
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Home made family cage. Frame tied at A and C. Has seats tied to cage, not tub/frame. No separation anxiety!

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #60
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

ahhh, the CJ5... another reason I would like the dash plates vs. all the way to the floor.

I have a custom roll cage in my CJ5 and it is a PITA getting my big size 13's in/out with boots on and the roll bar.

The dash plate would allow more room for my feet in the CJ5, not as much of a concern in the CJ7.

I love my 5, but getting in/out is sometimes a PITA.
I don't wheel it much at all, so the need isn't really there to have one, but it is nice knowing you have something.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.