To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 05-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Purpose and name: Can anyone tell me why they changed from the classic design? Is it because it's stronger? Looks better? Has a stupid name from someone that caught on? No, none of these. Ill tell you why. Because in the late 80s, the govt said that all US cars/trucks with forward facing rear passenger seats had to have 3 point seat belts by such and such date.....so in 1991, you have a redesigned rear bar to allow the upper seat belt mount. That's it.

Front Spreader bars: The front spreader bars do two things, it keeps the windshield frame from folding back on you (as much) in a rollover when it caves in, and firms up the windshield positioning for consistency in soft top and door alignment. As a plus, instead of the 12 seconds it takes (without tools)to lower your windshield....now it will take about 15 to 20 minutes.

Strength: I would argue that the design of the rear bars actually makes them weaker as the upper rear corner can bend or fold (think four corners of a box as it lays flat. In contrast, a triangle (old style viewed from the side) can not easily collapse unless there is a break at a joint. In rollbars, cages, structures, etc, triangulation is always stronger than regular 90 degree bars.

Looks:I too, personally do not like the looks as I grew up with the classic profile of the CJ representing what a Jeep is. The 91 on rollbar is a out of place to me as square headlights from 87 to 95. But hey, that's just me. And the name..."family bar".....Who came up with this crap? Like in a word, it implies that it is now, all of a sudden, safe to put your loved ones in the rear seat and they are magically protected from all harm....wow.

Soundbar:The reason I don't like the sound bar is because the left speaker is 5 inches from your left ear and the right speaker is a few feet away from your right ear.....not good as the best stereo sound comes from speakers placed at a distance apart that you are back from them....yes, I know its a Jeep, but anything has better imaging than that sound bar.....even the rear wedges and dash locations.

In short the ONLY real reason to go with a 91 to 95 bar is if you want or need 3 point rear seat belts. (and never plan on lowering your front windshield again). Also...Pulling on your steering wheel to get in is not the way to do it....get a step, loose weight, reach for another pull point OR whatever you need to do.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I have one I plan on putting in. But I'm only using the rear. I'm not installing the spreader bars. I only want it to add 3 point seat belts in the rear.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Neither bar are considered great rollover protection.

I did the swap, mainly because of the shoulder harness option and I just plain like the look of the family bar better. I think it makes the jeep look more complete.

That said, when I did roll my Jeep I was glad I had the family bar.
It did get tweaked and pullout out of the tub. But keep my head from getting squarshed.

2X
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhsm View Post
I have always thought that the CJ sports bar is the way to go. To tell you the truth, I think the "Family" roll cage kinda looks forced, awkward, and a total product of the 90's. While it is very functional, it's not very pleasing to the eye. When I think "Jeep," I think of one bar tube and two support members. This is a purist way of thought, I know, but it seems to me that the sport bar is more than functional, especially if you are not using your rear seat. If you are using a rear seat, then it may be necessary to use a full roll cage for safety. However, I think there is no prettier thing than a Jeep with a minimal roll cage. Just my two cents.
I agree, I like the classic rollbar look in Jeeps. My Jeep won't really be a family Jeep anyway. I have modern vehicles for that. I can't think of when I ever really wore my seatbelt in the back seat of any vehicle anyway.

Daisy knew what I'm talking about

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

All low speed roll overs. Fact is, the factory cages suck. A good cage should be the first upgrade.

Stock bar with added front cage and spreaders.

The key is triangulation. Keep a bar from having a side load and failing.

A good friend of mine walked away from this because of a good cage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACVL1aKK6k

And just for fun..

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I have a couple of questions about those pictures:

One, how do you know they were all "low speed rollovers"? And "low speed" doesn't automatically mean "low impact". You can roll down a mountain at "low speed".

Two, other than the one green TJ, looks like the factory bars themselves pretty much held up just fine and protected the occupants. The TJ on the bottom, it's cage is holding up just fine, too.

The CJ bar is warped to the side, but not collapsed. Looks like mostly the front windshield area are what failed....where there is no tubing. I wouldn't realistically expect any cage to not give SOME. As long as it doesn't totally collapse. So some warpage is fine, as long as it keeps you safe.

That kind of proves what I was saying: The factory bars are fine if you add a front hoop and some bracing to them. Not saying they're as good as a pro-built cage, but they are fine with some strengthening for the vast majority of CJ users, other than the rock guys. In all of these, the windshield frame is the main failure point. And none of them seem to have front hoops.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Pac,

Does a front hoop, that secures all the way to the frame, render the window cranks on hard-doors useless?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I for one love my family bar as I stated in my previous post. It does appear in the pictures provided above that the rollbars did a fair job in protection. One side note though and please correct me if I'm wrong, but any factory rollbar doesn't tie directly into the frame. When replacing my sport bar, the mounting locations were sheet metal with a nut tacked to it.
So, with an after market or home made built rollbar, how are they tied into the frame (especially in the rear part of the vehicle)?
Just curious.....

P.S. My post is #23 in this thread
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

This topic - adding to the cage - is can of worms. Adding two spreaders, can turn into "scratch built cage" pretty quickly. Couple more considerations...
- Hard doors: To Matt's question - not just the window cranks, but the depth of the doors will interfere with most windshield hoops (the ones that go to the floor)
- Seat belts: It's not a matter of finding a place to attach the shoulder harness, you have to do this AND keep the supporting bars away from all passengers's heads. I had a buddy die in his CJ when his head hit the roll bar just above the shoulder harness attach point - a side impact.

I think it's worth noting that "My Jeep is not a hardcore trail rig - it's mostly on the street... so I don't need a that much cage" is NOT an excuse to go cheap. The fact is, it's much (!) more dangerous out there on the street, than the trail. Rollovers on the trail - for the most part - are "gentle" compared to street crashes. Every rollover I've seen on the trail has been more like slow motion.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I did it for the added shoulder belts in the rear for my 2 sons. Also, I like the spreader bars.

Here is my build for pictures (the latter pages show the finished project): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/

I followed Bard's thread for the installation:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ch...ollbar-556232/

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
This topic - adding to the cage - is can of worms. Adding two spreaders, can turn into "scratch built cage" pretty quickly. Couple more considerations...
- Hard doors: To Matt's question - not just the window cranks, but the depth of the doors will interfere with most windshield hoops (the ones that go to the floor)
That's a bummer, but thanks for the info.

If I went to the trouble of changing roll bars, I'd want a fully functional cage, but it would have to work with the hard doors and top.

I've seen front hoop versions that secure to a special bracket on the dash. What's the skinny on those?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

A tube will fit there - allowing room for the doors. But, I've only seen that with custom/stick-built cages.

Then the next challenge is getting to the bolts securing the windshield to the dash.
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7

That's a bummer, but thanks for the info.

If I went to the trouble of changing roll bars, I'd want a fully functional cage, but it would have to work with the hard doors and top.

I've seen front hoop versions that secure to a special bracket on the dash. What's the skinny on those?

Matt
Power windows brother
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Please

Dont use shoulder harnesses w/o using the proper seats to locate the harness and the sub belt. Sub belt ie 5 pt or the 5th and 6th point keep the harnesses located on the hip bone. Not using the sub belts can cause serious injury in an accident since the belts are not properely located and can ride up.

Also consider using rollbar padding.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Im probably going to go with the family bar over the sport bar because of the seatbelt points.
Having two little kids in the back seat on 3 point harnesses is safer then just the lap belt, on or off the road. Im more worried about them then looks even though I think the sport bar looks alot better then the family bar.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grab handle , roll bar , sport bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.