To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
JeepinInTheSE
1986 CJ7 

To Family Roll Cage or not to Family Roll Cage

I know that there isn't a huge strength advantage to having a family roll cage over the original CJ sports bar, but I picked one up the other day and am now contemplating whether or not i want to install it. I don't want this to turn into a "just get a real roll cage" topic, but wanted some feedback about the swap.

I had intended to install it and modify the windshield frame a little to accommodate the "spreader bar" that goes from the main roll bar hoop to the windshield.....This way I could put some grab handles on and make it a little easier for my 5'4" wife to be able to get in and out of the lifted CJ and I wouldn't need to pull on the steering wheel to get in the driver's seat. I figured it would be nice to have......

Now that I've had it for a few weeks I'm wondering whether or not I should make the swap. Leave behind the classic sport bar look or deviate and have the family style roll bar....

I just want to know what some of you think about this.....yay or nay? Advantages other than what I've mentioned that you can think of? any disadvantages? I really value the input of my fellow CJ-ers so any input would be greatly appreciated.

JeepinInTheSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I did the swap in the fall and love it. My wife is 5'4" as well and the grab handles help with getting in and out. I also like it because I was able to install a soundbar instead of having to use those wedges that fire into the rear of the seats.
I'm also looking to get one of those frame less soft tops and you have to have a family bar.
I say go for it...
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Do you have the bars that cover the rear area or just the bars that bolt to the windshield?
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a family roll cage?
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

The bars towards the rear of the cage that will help protect the family riding in the rear of the Jeep. Hence, family roll bar......
image-1524524021.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
The bars towards the rear of the cage that will help protect the family riding in the rear of the Jeep. Hence, family roll bar......
So basically a TJ or later YJ Roll Cage?
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
JeepinInTheSE
1986 CJ7 

I have the whole set-up.....rear and front bars.
JeepinInTheSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

I will be using a family bar as well...plan to start building off of it, using it as my platform to use a frameless top, sound bar, cargo net etc and have a solid platform for a full cage as well.
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
JakeRod13
1978 CJ7 

subscribed.....im thinking of doing the same thing.
JakeRod13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Did it. Was thinking man I'm gonna miss the classic sport bar look. Then I installed it. Can put shoulder harnesses for each passenger. Get the windshield bars to hang handles off. And it does not obstruct views (or shooting) out of the back seat. I'd attach a picture but it won't let me.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

I installed one and am happy with it.
Wife loves the grab handle that hangs off the windshield spreader bar for getting in/out, plus to hold onto generally. I had also moved the passenger seat back 2 1/2" to give her more leg room.
Have to admit Im now thinking of adding a sound bar to it since the rear lower speakers suck lol.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA View Post
So basically a TJ or later YJ Roll Cage?
92-95 YJ roll bar is the family style.

I'd skip the stock YJ bars to the windshield and get an add-on front hoop instead. The stock bars don't do anything because the windshield isn't strong. Putting a front hoop in there gives you an actual cage of sorts.

Yes, you can build something a lot stronger, but do you NEED it? There are literally thousands of Jeeps that have been rolled with whatever bar they had stock and it didn't fail. And some have, but most didn't. They held up enough to protect the passengers, and very, very few ever would have benefited from frame tie-ins, which are a popular addition in the Jeep community.

My rule of thumb is, if you are planning on scraping it over huge rocks, or up and down steep hills, go with a cage with some cross-bracing. If you body is solid, there's still not much need for frame tie-ins, unless you just "want to". Again, yeah, they're stronger, but do you NEED it? I've seen videos of stock TJ's that rolled multiple times down a hill and the stock cage held up. And again, occasionally, they don't hold up.

Make a determination of what you plan to do with the Jeep, and build from there. Chances are, a YJ family cage, with a front hoop and maybe a rear cross bar will hold up to anything you'll ever encounter if you're not going to seriously wheel it.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
mrkhsm
1984 CJ7 

I have always thought that the CJ sports bar is the way to go. To tell you the truth, I think the "Family" roll cage kinda looks forced, awkward, and a total product of the 90's. While it is very functional, it's not very pleasing to the eye. When I think "Jeep," I think of one bar tube and two support members. This is a purist way of thought, I know, but it seems to me that the sport bar is more than functional, especially if you are not using your rear seat. If you are using a rear seat, then it may be necessary to use a full roll cage for safety. However, I think there is no prettier thing than a Jeep with a minimal roll cage. Just my two cents.
mrkhsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Never rely on them front bars to add any strength in an accident. Use a family cage as a base, but build a real front cage onto the front of it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I put one on my 85cj. I didn't care for it after a week so I pulled it off and sold it. The stock bar is going to protect about the same as the other cage. The weight of the engine would prevent the rear of the jeep from tilting in a roll over. The main hop and the front of the jeep will be on the ground and the rear will be up in the air.
As was already mentioned that front windshield spreader isn't doing jack other than giving a spot to grab on. I'd do the adds front hoop and some spreaders with welded in grab handles.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grab handle , roll bar , sport bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.