failing at the low tech approach - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > failing at the low tech approach

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

failing at the low tech approach

When I bought my beat-up '78 CJ7, I wanted a V-8, which I got and something not needing a bunch of work which I didn't get. I ended up replacing the engine, rewiring the vehicle from the parking lights to the backup lights, replacing a bunch of seals, gauges, and interior parts and eventually a new top too. All good fun.
Starting out, I was determing to stay low tech so the jeep would remain field repairable as much as possible. I figured this approach would allow me to get it home no matter where I was using minimal spare parts, a roll of baling wire and some electrical tape.
I bought rebuilt distributors from the local shop and managed to keep one just past the warranty period before it started acting up. After the 2nd one failed, I decided to go new.
Sooo, yesterday I installed a DUI distributor from Performance Distributor along with a set of Hotwires from Nology. Woohoo, does this engine run sweet!! The torque at idle is mindblowing and acceleration throughout the range is noticeably better. Maybe I can live with the enhanced reliability and performance of higher tech instead of field repairability. Hmmmm

geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You'll be fine...
At least until North Korea blows an EMP burst over us.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Without pictures, it's all just gum-flapping.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Without pictures, it's all just gum-flapping.

Matt
Well, finger flapping technically.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

Forums by definition are finger flappings. I can show you pictures but nothing proves the vehicle is mine. I'm sure I could find a few pics on the internet even. If you live in New Mexico, I'll show it to you. Otherwise, you can just wonder if I'm being honest or not.
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
mvbrady
1986 CJ7 

Let the conversion begin...it only gets better.
Next time your in Farmington... you can show me and I can vouch for you....that should be better than your avg. web pic
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneapodaca View Post
When I bought my beat-up '78 CJ7, I wanted a V-8, which I got and something not needing a bunch of work which I didn't get. I ended up replacing the engine, rewiring the vehicle from the parking lights to the backup lights, replacing a bunch of seals, gauges, and interior parts and eventually a new top too. All good fun.
Starting out, I was determing to stay low tech so the jeep would remain field repairable as much as possible. I figured this approach would allow me to get it home no matter where I was using minimal spare parts, a roll of baling wire and some electrical tape.
I bought rebuilt distributors from the local shop and managed to keep one just past the warranty period before it started acting up. After the 2nd one failed, I decided to go new.
Sooo, yesterday I installed a DUI distributor from Performance Distributor along with a set of Hotwires from Nology. Woohoo, does this engine run sweet!! The torque at idle is mindblowing and acceleration throughout the range is noticeably better. Maybe I can live with the enhanced reliability and performance of higher tech instead of field repairability. Hmmmm
You don't think an HEI is "field repairable"?

Doesn't get much easier to repair than that, nor easier to find parts for.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
You'll be fine...
At least until North Korea blows an EMP burst over us.
John,
In all seriousness, wouldn't the hood of the vehicle protect the electronics of the car's engine from an EMP? Or would the only cars running after an EMP be those with the old points ignition?
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The hood doesn't seem to block the electronic emmisions coming out of my CJ, hard think they would block anything coming in.

There already is a EMP cannon designed to stop cars. http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...wer-next-month

Points are practically fool proof when it comes to stuff like that. or Just another reason to go diesel....
Like I really need one.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvbrady View Post
Let the conversion begin...it only gets better.
Next time your in Farmington... you can show me and I can vouch for you....that should be better than your avg. web pic
The distributor can easily be maintained but I was talking about something catastrophic like an EMP which would completely cook the internal electronics. That can't be field repaired without a whole new distributor, or at least a complete spare set of everything electric internally. And, the spares would have to be stored so they don't get cooked too. Cars aren't really EMP shielded at all. My job is military aircraft electronics systems and I understand the differences. It's not impossible to partially protect most vehicle electrics but it's costly and really not worth the trouble unless you really want your jeep to survive a monstrous solar flare or high altitude nuke. The weak areas are the control modules which can be shielded by wrapping them completely in a metal screen (either fine mesh or solid box) which is thoroughly grounded but the wires going in and out of them also have to be shielded which is the tricky part. Shielded wiring (kind of like standard TV cable wiring) is required to do that and that's the expense. The center carries the voltage and the shield part has to be grounded at both ends of any wire that can possibly connect into the control module wires. The alternators would probably fry too but starters might make it.

MvBrady; I'm in Albuquerque and venture north all the time but don't often hit that corner you're in. I'll let you know next time I do though. Wanna meet me in the Jemez mountains Memorial weekend? I'll be there starting Friday afternoon all weekend.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

First off, an EMP will never happen, so it's really irrelevant.

But, IMO the only thing in an HEI that would possibly be damaged is the module. So carry another one. They're cheap. And it's not likely to be damaged in the first place. You'd have to be at the exact right place at the right time for any damage to occur.
There's no such thing as an EMP detonating over the US and the whole country going dark. That's not the way it works.
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
mvbrady
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the invite....already planning to take the Kids Camping at Navajo lake....another time,
Have a Great Holiday weekend.
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.