Factory wiper delay switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Factory wiper delay switch

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
smokedog
1984 CJ7 

Factory wiper delay switch

Trying to finish up my restoration project and have factory delay wipers. I have all of the wires and the black box but not the switch that mounts in the dash. I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone have an extra one they would sell or can you tell me if in fact a switch from an early 80's truck will work?

84' CJ7 Renegade - Tungsten grey metallic paint, 388ci Chevy, 700r4, D300, SOA lift with YJ springs, 1" body lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Currie Rock Crawler Shackles, Trussed Ford 9 Rear w/ 4:56 gears, Detroit lockers, Dana 44 front, full poison spyder cage and lots of chrome and stainless.
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I was able to buy one from NAPA a few years back. I imagine they can still get them.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Go to Pick A Part and look for any 78 to about 87 Ford full size pickup truck with intermittent wipers. they are the same switch and same module/wiring harness.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
JrTjK
1985 CJ7 

I have a few NOS ones but they're either sitting in my reserve, or being held as samples...trying to get them reproduced, but who knows if it'll happen.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
Go to Pick A Part and look for any 78 to about 87 Ford full size pickup truck with intermittent wipers. they are the same switch and same module/wiring harness.
I believe the wiring is slightly different on the Ford version.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
I believe the wiring is slightly different on the Ford version.
the switch is the same which is what the OP was after. The wiring is is the same but color coding is different. Also the Ford has one extra Wire in the module harness which is not needed for us CJ'ers.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
the switch is the same which is what the OP was after. The wiring is is the same but color coding is different. Also the Ford has one extra Wire in the module harness which is not needed for us CJ'ers.
Does anyone have any rock solid evidence of this? With a fair amount of searching it looks like unless you swap some wires the windshield washer won't work with the Ford parts. Also some other sources say the hole the switch passes thru is a different diameter, requiring modifications.

If it were truely that easy, the switches for the Fords are readily available thru the aftermarket for about $45 each

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Does anyone have any rock solid evidence of this? With a fair amount of searching it looks like unless you swap some wires the windshield washer won't work with the Ford parts. Also some other sources say the hole the switch passes thru is a different diameter, requiring modifications.

If it were truely that easy, the switches for the Fords are readily available thru the aftermarket for about $45 each
First off I don't use the washer circuit so I can't speak about that. but I am using an 86 CJ module with a Ford switch in my 7. Works fine for me. I did not have to do any mods to fit the switch into the dash. I even used the stock CJ nut and bezel. Only mod I had to do was connecting the module/harness into the dash harness. Mine was a 3 wire 2 spd from the factory. I also dewired the washer circuit from the module/harness.
When I was at the wreckers I grabbed 3 or 4 switches and modules out of early 80's Fords.

I do believe the 89 on switches are physically different in shaft length and mounting size.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.