Factory Plastic Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Factory Plastic Tank

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 01-04-2002, 10:44 PM   #1
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

Factory Plastic Tank

I own the SF5361825 FActory gas tank. I need to replace the Skid plate for this tank. I beieve it wasw an option after 1984. Either that or I might be interested in selling the tank.

Any comments on the this topic?

RICK

diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 04:53 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Rick:

A 20 gallon plastic tank was an option for later CJs. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Big and will never rust.

How is it that you have no skidplate anymore? I only ask to suggest that if its off already, now is a good time to drop the tank, flush it, and replace the in-tank fuel filter/intake screen. My tank had sludge like you read about and the filter was black.

Anyway, check with used parts places for a replacement, or look to the aftermarket, just be sure it is the right skidplate for the oversized tank.

Also, you or a fabricator could make a pretty beefy one up to meet your needs. It's not complicated and only a matter of taking good measurements, using good steel, and making good welds.

IMHO keep the 20 gallon tank.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

Since posting this I found aftermarket skid plates for the factory tank. Or, I might make a simplt box version. I am going to have to see how the tank is shaped, because I have a YJ tub and need to flip this tank around for the gas fill.

Or, maybe cut out a hole on CJ side for a new fill there. Or, is the Door hinge int he way of that?
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
Darko

how do you change the filter on a Plastic tank? Ive cleaned up the inside but havent seen a filter anywhere.
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

It's the tube-like thing, made of fine mesh, that is attached to the fuel pickup. It should come out when you pull the fuel lines from the tank.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:43 PM   #6
Darko

weird... I pulled my fuel lines and didn't have a filter
Unread 01-09-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
CJRUSTY

I RECENTLY MADE A NEW SKID PLATE FOR MINE ITS A LOT EASIER TO DO THAN REPLACING A STEEL TANK LATER KEEP THE PLASTIC TANK AND MAKE A SKID PLATE.
CJRUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2002, 07:56 PM   #8
grinder

I have one of the large plastic tanks complete with skid plate. Would like to sell it. Anyone interested???

located in central Missouri
Unread 01-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #9
CJ7Eric

I have an 83 CJ7 and I am looking to buy a gas tank at some point. Email me a price you are looking for.
CJ7Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.