Factory CJ fuel gauge problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Factory CJ fuel gauge problems...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Rotorhead
1982 CJ7 

Factory CJ fuel gauge problems...

Hello all,

I have driven CJs for 20 years and never had a problem with the factory fuel gauge--lucky me. My Jeep has a Painless wiring harness in it. Recently I took the dash apart looking for a parasitic drain but when I put it back together, the gauges did not work. Having gone through gauge testing online, everything pointed me to the fuel sender. I dropped the tank and replaced the sender and the gauges. Verified my ground to the frame is good. When I hooked it back up it still blows the 'Gauges' fuse. With the speedometer out of the dash the gas gauge reads full. As soon as I ground the speedometer case, it blows the fuse. Ready to set the Jeep on fire and roll it into the street! Please help!

Unread 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

You have a short somewhere. check all wiring and make sure there aren't any hot wires grounding out
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Rotorhead
1982 CJ7 

When I went through the dash, I added a bus bar connected to the battery and grounded all my dash items to it. Pretty sure that the problem is in the fuel gauge. I connected another 2 1/16" fuel gauge to the wiring and it works fine. I have tried 2 OE fuel gauges with the same effect. I ordered the Omix aftermarket gauge set and it does the same. If you have the speedo cluster not grounded, the gauge goes to full and stays there. Once you ground the cluster or connect the power wire to the I terminal on the fuel gauge it blows the fuse. I am half tempted to punch a hole in the dash and wire in a 2 1/16" aftermarket gauge and call it good. Would rather keep my dash stock though...
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

I have heard of a lot of issues related to the ground or shared ground. I would check all of your new grounds against a known good ground. (on the fuel and temp gauges)
gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

did you mess with the screws on the back of the gauges?

tighten them up or anything?

IS the Fuel Gauge aligned properly in the housing?

Did you check your resistance to ground
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Rotorhead
1982 CJ7 

Cleaned up the ground on the back of the fuel gauge. It works for now. Temp gauge is still inop though. Will plan on fixing that once the weather turns cruddy again. Summer in MT is too nice to not have the Jeep running... Thanks for your help guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.