F134 oil filter question....HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > F134 oil filter question....HELP!!!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
jeepthing5280
1956 CJ6 

F134 oil filter question....HELP!!!

I just finished a rebuild of my '56 f134. Engine has external canister oil filter. Inlet oil hose comes from under fuel pump to top of oil canister. Lower hose connects bottom of canister to top of timing cover . The problem I have is the oil filter canister is not draining through lower hose. Pulled housing apart and cleaned. Does not appear to be drain holes inside of housing... How the hell does this work??? With lid hold down bolt and lower hose removed, it's a through passage. Plug one end and blow, nothing. Am I overlooking something? Help

image-1109127958.jpg

image-1973806264.jpg

jeepthing5280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

There are no drain holes inside of the canister. It will not 'drain' the oil out. The hold down bolt should be hollow with a few holes in it at the top end. Oil comes in through the filter, through the hold down bolt, down the center tube and back into the motor.
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Oil is pushed into the canister from the galley, pressurizing the canister. This forces the oil through the filter and out the hollow lid bolt to drain over the timing gears.
You should be able to remove the lower hose, and with the engine running, get oil out from the bottom hose (once the canister is full). If you don't, you need to inspect the inlet line for blockage, the bolt to insure it is clear, and the outlet hoes to make sure it hasn't collapsed or gone bad.
Remember, this is a bypass system, it only cleans a small amount of oil at any time, unlike modern systems that force all oil through the filter before it reaches the galleys.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oil is sucked out of the #2 main bearing if I recall correctly. Every one of the L and F head engines I have rebuilt have more wear on #2 main. The engines oiling system is self contained. The filter though it does help some, actually does very little in the way of removing contaminates from the oil. Now if you plumbed all the ports in a series to the filter much greater filtering will be achieved, at the cost of oil pressure, unless a higher pressure oil pump was installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.