F-134 Hurricane in CJ3a - success! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > F-134 Hurricane in CJ3a - success!

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
jbcarney
1951 CJ3A 

F-134 Hurricane in CJ3a - success!

I finally found a Holley 1904 carb to put in my Cj3a. Somewhere in its' history some PO put an F-134 in this low hood CJ3a flatty. With the Carter carb, it was several inches too tall which is why the Cj3B has the 'high hood' design...adding about 6" to the hood.

This carb gives me just over an inch or so below the hood line to create an air horn.

The only other 'mods' I had to do was use 3 gaskets to get the throttle arm to clear the engine block and put a small dent the valve cover to make room for the float bowl. You can see that in the picture below.

I'll also have to cut down the breather on the top.

Anywho, after looking a long time on the web, (including JCWhitney taking a month to tell me they were still looking for a core) I finally found a rebuilt from RockAuto.com. The had a rebuilt 1904 for $120 (+$40 core charge). That's nothing compared to new Holley 1904 carbs which were $450. Since I didn't pay that much for the jeep itself, wasn't gonna go there.

The great news is that the engine runs like a champ, nice and smooth. It does blow some smoke, so I'll have to chase that next, but things are looking up!

"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid."
jbcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
HackedUpJeep

holley 1904

My oil stick hits on the fuel bowl of the holley, so I was thinking about shortening it. I don't see your oil stick in the picture, just curious how you got it to fit or is it located somewheres else?
thanks Matt
HackedUpJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
jbcarney
1951 CJ3A 

Holley 1904

Well, you're right in that it's not in the picture. The engine I have does not have the tall oil tube, but rather about 3"inches of small tube where the base of what you're describing would be, so I didn't have to adjust for that.

Unread 06-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
HackedUpJeep

hey brother, thanks for the clarification. I ended up shortening mine, easy fix. what did you endup doing for the air cleaner horn. I dont have any of the original cleaners, so I have to start from scratch.
Matt willys mb with an f134
HackedUpJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
jbcarney
1951 CJ3A 

I haven't focused on the air horn just yet. Like you, I don't have any of the original parts and have to start from scratch.

I'd be greatly interested in any ideas you come up with or any info you might find.

-John

Unread 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
gssmith1986
1950 CJ3A 

Did you come up with an air filter solution

I have the same setup: F-134 with Holley 1904 under a CJ3A Hood. Right now the carb is running naked, and I'm curious if you found a solution?
gssmith1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.