EZ Wiring Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > EZ Wiring Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

EZ Wiring Question

Been slowly re-wiring my '78 CJ7 from scratch with an EZ-Kit. I got the larger of them (21 circuit) for future expansion, but wiring up the engine is driving me a bit crazy due to the crappy diagrams.

I've checked JH amazing diagrams, and they've helped in a few earlier steps, but this one has me puzzled. I'm planning a full write up on how to install the harness just in case anyone else tries this endeavor.

There is a fat red wire labeled (solenoid power). I have that running to the same side of the solenoid as the battery/alternator, and currently the jeep will turn over/run.

BUT.

There is no 'sense' wire for the alternator. There is an excite wire (white), which is run to the #1 spot on the alternator.

Also, there is a red wire (not fat, maybe 12g?) that is labeled "alternator power." Where does this go?! Hooking up a volt meter to it tells me that it receives constant voltage, so I'm a bit stumped.

xnodesirex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Just giving you a courtesy bump.A write-up would be great.Sure would eliminate a lot of questions.Good Luck
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Just giving you a courtesy bump.A write-up would be great.Sure would eliminate a lot of questions.Good Luck
Pretty sure I've encountered most/all of them thus far -- and I haven't even started the dash yet! Haha.

Best way I could ever imagine spending a week of vacation around the holidays
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

ttt
anyone?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
altier04
1980 CJ7 

dont know if you still need help but im hooking one up on my 78' also and my alternator had a post on the back where that red wires hooks up. it also has a 2 wire plug tucked on the motor side kind of hiding underneath.
altier04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
clmelt1
1978 CJ5 

I have the same harness I'm my cj5 with a 304, I used this diagram with the diagram that came with the kit. How this helps.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxel.../preview?pli=1
clmelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

How does the EZ harness go through the firewall? Stock type bulkhead connector, or their own unique one?
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
burley
1976 CJ5 

How does the EZ compare to Painless? I'll be rewiring mine soon. Don't mean to hijack the thread.. BUMP!
burley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Don't know how EZ compares to painless, other than a few hundred less expensive.

Everything had labels, which was a big plus, BUT required you to figure out lengths, terminations, and sometimes where things went. Old CJ wiring diagrams were a lifesaver, but I waited until the last minute to lock things down. After I ran the wires in the harness, I went back and ran my relays (Horn Relay, Headlight Relay), added independent grounds back to a bus bar for all of the headlights, horns, taillights, starter, solenoid, alternator and dash/gauges. So it probably was wire overkill, but at least I have complete confidence that I'm not going to randomly encounter things not working. Haha.

To one of the earlier questions - it has its own bulkhead connector, but was SMALLER in the fuseblock than the historical. Similar mounting studs (so no new holes), but I took a piece of aluminum to fill in the gaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.