EZ Wiring Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > EZ Wiring Question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

EZ Wiring Question

Been slowly re-wiring my '78 CJ7 from scratch with an EZ-Kit. I got the larger of them (21 circuit) for future expansion, but wiring up the engine is driving me a bit crazy due to the crappy diagrams.

I've checked JH amazing diagrams, and they've helped in a few earlier steps, but this one has me puzzled. I'm planning a full write up on how to install the harness just in case anyone else tries this endeavor.

There is a fat red wire labeled (solenoid power). I have that running to the same side of the solenoid as the battery/alternator, and currently the jeep will turn over/run.

BUT.

There is no 'sense' wire for the alternator. There is an excite wire (white), which is run to the #1 spot on the alternator.

Also, there is a red wire (not fat, maybe 12g?) that is labeled "alternator power." Where does this go?! Hooking up a volt meter to it tells me that it receives constant voltage, so I'm a bit stumped.

xnodesirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Just giving you a courtesy bump.A write-up would be great.Sure would eliminate a lot of questions.Good Luck
Unread 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Just giving you a courtesy bump.A write-up would be great.Sure would eliminate a lot of questions.Good Luck
Pretty sure I've encountered most/all of them thus far -- and I haven't even started the dash yet! Haha.

Best way I could ever imagine spending a week of vacation around the holidays
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

ttt
anyone?
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
altier04
1980 CJ7 

dont know if you still need help but im hooking one up on my 78' also and my alternator had a post on the back where that red wires hooks up. it also has a 2 wire plug tucked on the motor side kind of hiding underneath.
altier04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
clmelt1
1978 CJ5 

I have the same harness I'm my cj5 with a 304, I used this diagram with the diagram that came with the kit. How this helps.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxel.../preview?pli=1
clmelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

How does the EZ harness go through the firewall? Stock type bulkhead connector, or their own unique one?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
burley
1976 CJ5 

How does the EZ compare to Painless? I'll be rewiring mine soon. Don't mean to hijack the thread.. BUMP!
burley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Don't know how EZ compares to painless, other than a few hundred less expensive.

Everything had labels, which was a big plus, BUT required you to figure out lengths, terminations, and sometimes where things went. Old CJ wiring diagrams were a lifesaver, but I waited until the last minute to lock things down. After I ran the wires in the harness, I went back and ran my relays (Horn Relay, Headlight Relay), added independent grounds back to a bus bar for all of the headlights, horns, taillights, starter, solenoid, alternator and dash/gauges. So it probably was wire overkill, but at least I have complete confidence that I'm not going to randomly encounter things not working. Haha.

To one of the earlier questions - it has its own bulkhead connector, but was SMALLER in the fuseblock than the historical. Similar mounting studs (so no new holes), but I took a piece of aluminum to fill in the gaps.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.