Extra, useless wires! Help needed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Extra, useless wires! Help needed.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Extra, useless wires! Help needed.

First off, this is my first post, though I've been lurking for the last year or so. Thanks for all the helpful info. Usually I can figure out things easily, but this has got me stumped. Ive got an 84' CJ7 and the PO swapped out the engine and trans for a chevy 305 and an automatic. Now, EVERYTHING RUNS. I want to be clear on that. As far as I can tell,everything works and is hooked up. They mystery is in the wiring bulkhead in the engine compartment. I've got roughly 11 wires that are not hooked up to anything at all and merely capped off. My curiosity is piqued, but I can't seem to locate a simple color code chart. Those diagrams are like greek, and since everything works I'm rather loathe to try to decipher them. So I want to know, what were they for? I can test for power easily enough, but I don't have a multimeter. They are all cut off a few feet after they enter the engine compartment through the bulkhead on the driver's side. Anything helps. I can take pics of whatever is needed.

In no particular order:
2 orange
2 brown
1 purple
1 purple/white
2 turquoise blue
1 white with black stripe
1 yellow
1 red

AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Hmm, well assuming the wiring colors are still original...I'll take a stab at a few.

Light blue is the color of the factory solenoid wire from the ignition switch, but I'm not sure why there's two.
The yellow wire is the power supply to the washer fluid pump from the switch.
The purple wire is the wire to the factory oil pressure sensor.
The purple wire with a tracer is to the factory water temp sensor.
The red wire is probably for the factory horn, but there are several reds in that harness.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

That makes sense considering all that has been bypassed and aftermarket gauges installed.
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.