exhuast leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > exhuast leak?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-18-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
Hino01

exhuast leak?

I have a 75 CJ-5, 304 CID, 3 speed manual. What I am curious to know why does it not have any noise idling but when you romp on it it sounds like I am driving a open header stock car. I have headers on it. I have looked around the seams and gaskets for a leak. The only place there is any thing wrong is on the #8 exhaust port. The header bolt is missing or snapped. It doesn't sound like a typical leak but more like something is loose. Conrod or wrist pin maybe? It's only on the right side.

Hino01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:24 PM   #2
MeandmyCJ

If you've got a header bolt missing, you've got a leak. It will sound like an open pipe when you 'get on it'. With my Heddman fenderwell headers (unmodified), if one bolt backed out 1/2 turn mine would leak aroung the standard gaskets. This was especially prevalent on number 7 & 8 cylinders, since they got most of the stress from the free hanging headers. You should be able to remove the other header bolts, drop down the header and use an easyout to remove the broken bolt. It should come out easily. If there's enough sticking out, you should be able to get a vice grip on it and back it out. I modified my Heddman headers by grinding down the little TIG welds arount the ports and made the surface flat across the entire header. I also drilled out the header bolts and used mechanics wire to keep them from backing out. A little copper spay-on gasket (brushed on) is all I use for gaskets. Check out http://www.headersbyed.com/hdrs.htm#...BChevFlngs_pic for an example of how the flanges should look after they are prepped. Good luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.