exhaust still getting really hot!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > exhaust still getting really hot!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 10-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Southtowns27
1955 CJ5 

I've seen manifolds glowing orange. 500* is nothing. Likely what is happening, is that when the engine is shut down, the fuel is boiling in the carb bowl. I have a Chevy 283 in my CJ5 that does the same thing. When it's hot, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there. Then try cranking it, I'll bet it lights off after a few revolutions. When it fires, take your foot off the gas (obviously). If it really bothers you a lot, you might be able to find a carb isolator. All it is is a really thick gasket to help insulate the carb from heat coming up through the manifold.

Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.