Exhaust smoke and no idle Weber 34 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Exhaust smoke and no idle Weber 34 conversion

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
daoliv

Exhaust smoke and no idle Weber 34 conversion

I have not had a bunch of time to spend working on my CJ but I did finish my Weber carb conversion. It still has a hard time starting and will not hold an idle and also there is smoke coming from the exhaust which is dark gray. Dies when I lift my foot off of the gas. When I start it, it starts right up but will not stay on unless I press on the gas pedal. I checked all of the connections even held the choke plate open and it runs the same. Today it backfired once through the carb. Could this be a fuel pressure problem. I know it has a new fuel pump on it since the last on had a hole in the diaphram. I am thinking the pressure is to high since I did not put a fuel pressure regulator on it. I really do not want to mess with the fuel mixture yet or the ide screw.

Any help from anyone that knows what might be happening please help. I would like to get my baby back on the road.

Thanks,
David

daoliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Backfiring is timing. I would set your timing, get a timing light and set it right. The Webers like 4 to 5 lbs of fuel pressure, a regulator does that. I know they prefer the holley FPR, I can't remember what model it is, someone else can chime in, Factory is 7lbs of fuel coming in. Check your fuel filter as well or just go new.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

yep you need a FPR and a return line back to the tank hooked up..Check your timing and for vacume leaks..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.