Exhaust manifold removal tips? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Exhaust manifold removal tips?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
CBFintheODD
1978 CJ5 

LOL that is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing!! I am going to bide my time until my wife/toddler pack up and go visit the in-laws for a weekend and bake. I was just worried the fumes would make the house smell like my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
CB,

The fumes aren't bad at all. I patiently and cleverly waited until my wife left to run errands. By the time she was back, I was done, and the aroma was gone. She never even asked about it.

Good luck,

Matt

Powder coating the Earth!
CBFintheODD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
CBFintheODD
1978 CJ5 

Walker,

You guys are inspiring me to make things pretty! Looks good to me!

I definitely have plans to do dress up one day but I am in the phase of must-haves right now.

Thanks for the pics, the red intake looks nice.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
I got a new exhaust manifold and did what Matt suggested - prepped with phosphetch (for only 15 minutes using a 1:4 dilution with water), let it dry, then painted with black exhaust paint which is basically the color of your propane grill. I also did my intake manifold at the same time using a red VHT paint after phosphoetch. I just cured them on the engine according to instructions - run it for 10min, shut off for 30min; run for 20min, shut off for 30min; run for 30min, and you're done. Both are holding up well, the exhaust better than the intake (I think I just couldn't get the intake clean enough before etching).

I had a pair of left over headers after putting the new manifold in, so I did the same to them and sold them to cover some costs.

Not nearly as pretty as Matt's engine bay, but neither is the rest of my Jeep

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Just a little tip - do it now while you're in there. The paint isn't that much money, neither is the phospho-etch. $50 total. Make room for it, it really sucks to have to do all of the manifold work over again for the sake of painting. I've had to remove and reinstall my manifolds three times since I've owned the Jeep, and I rate it up there with a transmission swap. Great to learn how to do, but damn if I want to do it more than once in a year. At least with the 258, those things just don't mate up well with the block without some encouragement and a lot of beer and swearing.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I did the manifolds in the oven thing when many years ago when I was in High school and mom was out of the house Mine stunk up the whole house and I thought she was going to beat the tar out of me.
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
CBFintheODD
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for the tip and definitely agree. Since I bought new ones, I am going to etch and paint way before I get the the R&R part. I am still fretting about how much of a pain the R&R is going to be with the boogered up bolts near the firewall. Like everything else, I will get it done one way or the other though

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Just a little tip - do it now while you're in there. The paint isn't that much money, neither is the phospho-etch. $50 total. Make room for it, it really sucks to have to do all of the manifold work over again for the sake of painting. I've had to remove and reinstall my manifolds three times since I've owned the Jeep, and I rate it up there with a transmission swap. Great to learn how to do, but damn if I want to do it more than once in a year. At least with the 258, those things just don't mate up well with the block without some encouragement and a lot of beer and swearing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.