Exhaust Manifold 82 CJ7 4.2L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Exhaust Manifold 82 CJ7 4.2L

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
BraveDave
One weekend at a time

1982 CJ7 

Exhaust Manifold 82 CJ7 4.2L

Hey guys, I'm new to this. This is my first Jeep. 82 CJ7 4.2L 5 speed. Manual brakes and steering.

I have a leak at the exhaust manifold and need to replace the gasket. Looking at the service manuals, it seems straight forward. A couple of questions. Anything I should be concerned with?

Should I replace the manifold with a header (recommendations?) and can I remove the emissions stuff? (smog pump, etc). I'm in Texas and they don't check emissions on this old of a vehicle.

Can I remove the catalytic converter?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

BraveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

I went through the same decision last year. I could have fixed my leak with a new gasket and manifold (around $180 from morris auto). My manifold was too rusted to salvage and possibly cracked. I opted to go headers and a new Weber carb, rather than learn to fix my carter bbd. It was may more expensive and a pain to get all the after market stuff to fit right. However, I think I have a better setup with more power and easier to tune. I also cleaned all the emissions stuff off to make a nicer looking engine bay. Mine didn't work anyways, wouldn't pass. The pain was really more due to custom stuff from clifford not mating to stock parts well. You will also have to redo your exhaust for headers, but I was doing that anyways.

If you are happy with your performance and don't want to open a can of worms, just fix the gasket .
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
BraveDave
One weekend at a time

1982 CJ7 

Thanks. After taking off the manifold, I've decided to replace with a header. The smog pump also broke. The bracket holding bolt area cracked in half. So I'm removing that. Just have to figure out what vacuum lines need to be removed or plugged. Should I take off the EGR?
BraveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveDave View Post
Thanks. After taking off the manifold, I've decided to replace with a header. The smog pump also broke. The bracket holding bolt area cracked in half. So I'm removing that. Just have to figure out what vacuum lines need to be removed or plugged. Should I take off the EGR?
I figured that would happen. Most of my stuff was already broken or non-functional, the rest became that way when I tried to take it apart.

What carb are you running? I removed the EGR, and all the vacuum lines that weren't needed for my Weber. The Carter will likely require more. Can't help you there. However, I don't have power brakes or a functional charcoal canister right now. Only thing that needed vacuum on my motor is the distributor advance and the PCV.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.