Exhaust Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Exhaust Leak?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 06-17-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
nvyblue_cj7

Exhaust Leak?

I was driving my CJ around in the woods by my house today when I noticed that there was a lot of smoke around the right side of my CJ. Could this all be from the breather valve (im blowing oil) or could it be an enhaust leak? The odd thing is that when I look under the hood, theres nothing, but then I look underneath, and I still can't see anything leaking! Yep, its definetly a Jeep. Oh- and when i drive the Jeep hard, I can hear a strange sound coming from under the hood- like a knock, but its not the engine, sounds more like its coming from the transmission. One last thing- for about a week I had to leave the Jeep to sit in the garage, and when i came back I was greeted by power steering fluid on my garage floor, with the power steering pump bone dry. But then I started driving it two days ago, and it just stopped leaking. It appeared to be coming from a bushing- could this have just fixed itself? Thanks for any responses!

Nick

"pop the hood, POP THE HOOD!"
- a phrase commonly heard in my garage
nvyblue_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 09:20 PM   #2
johny1i

Generally, oil smoke would be a bluish-white color, while raw exhaust has a rich black look to it. To test for an exhaust leak, the simplest way is to get a 2-3 foot piece of 1/4" or 3/8" vacuum (or any other type) hose, stick one end in your ear, and then poke the other end around any suspected joints, gaskets, etc. It will make a puffing sound in your ear if you come across a leak. As far as the power steering, gaskets/bushings can dry out and shrink when a car sits, only to then swell back up when you start driving it and stop the leak, but one week seems like an awfully short time--this is something that usually happens on cars that sit for months, etc. Just keep an eye on the reservoir and carry an extra bottle of fluid for a couple of weeks is my advice and then see what happens.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

On the power steering fluid dilemma...turn the steering hard to one side and watch what happens...if your lines are dry rotted and cracked the leak should show when you do this.
Everytime my son turned hard left for a week his Scrambler caught on fire!!! Took us a little bit to figure out what was happening and thank God the fire only burned for a few seconds. What was happening was the high pressure fluid was shooting directly against the exhaust collector and flashing off!
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.