Exhaust Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Exhaust Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #1
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Exhaust Help

I just took my jeep in today to get the exhaust done. I'm doing a frame up so the body isn't on yet. The guy there recommends flowmaster exhaust. Is flomaster the best exhaust to use with a 258? If not what do you recommend. Also should I get chrome tips or not. It's only an extra $20 dollars so I'll probably end up doing it. I need to let him know first thinkg tomorrow morning so quick responses would be helpful. Thanks

Trevor

Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
buddhasbomb

as far as flowmaster goes ,no i wouldnt.just have him make it out of good 2 or 2 1/2 in pipe with a good turbo style muffler and youll do fine.chrome tips are up to you,just remember they will rust fairly quickly
buddhasbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
Hippo393

Wow. I always thought that flowmaster was the PRIMO top-of-the line. Whether it is or not, it may be the highest price. A true salesman will suggest the highest priced item. I suppose it depends on if you trust this guy, but I'd personally have no qualms about the quality of Flowmaster. (but I'm sorta new at this stuff )

If you can afford a chrome tip, GET ONE! Get rid of it if it rusts next year or next week. I've got one on my Honda, and it looks great after a year (and I live in Sh***y Ohio). Yet the exhaust pipe will rapidly discolor unless you stay on top of it. The contrast of pipe-to-tip may be noticable in just a few weeks. I guess it depends on whether or not any of the pipe is visible after the job is done?!?
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
nuzzy

I have a related question. I'm taking off the cat all together and putting on a flowmaster exaust. However, I got to wondering if I could throw on a Y pipe and go dual flowmasters with 2.5" pipes. I have the 258 with the bigger of the two weber carbs. I'm wondering if the dual flowmaster setup would create enough back pressure. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Unread 06-25-2002, 07:03 PM   #5
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

I went with the flomaster exhaust. The guy who installed it is a good friend of mine so I got a really good deal. At the cat converter there were two outlets. then he ran it to through to the back. I got 3" crome tips and it looks really sharp.
Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.