Evap Canister... how important is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Evap Canister... how important is it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Reply
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
TnKanRick
Junior Member
 
TnKanRick's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Morristown, Tennessee
Posts: 58
Evap Canister... how important is it?

The Evap Can on my 83 CJ7 is not hooked up to anything. Should I take the time to hook everything back up to it? The Evap Can looks like it had been submerged in mud by the PO.

__________________
The great thing about experience is that it allows you to recognize the same mistake every time you make it.
TnKanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,841
Very important-
Do you like the idea of fill'n your garage, with gasoline fumes?
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,631
You need it. I'd get a new one and hook it up the way the factory did or get one of a later model car from the salvage yard or ebay and hook it up so it purges itself. Not all of the CJs did that and the canister gets clogged with fuel.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
captkhaos
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 95
Well I removed mine in 1996 for the same reason. I park it in a fairly small 1 car garage and have never smelled gas fumes. I don't mean to be disagreeable, I'm just stating a fact. Besides, if it's not hooked up to anything now, why would anything change if he just took it out?
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkhaos View Post
Well I removed mine in 1996 for the same reason. I park it in a fairly small 1 car garage and have never smelled gas fumes. I don't mean to be disagreeable, I'm just stating a fact.
Did you plug the lines?
OR, did you leav'em open so dirt etc, can get into your tank??
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
captkhaos
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 95
I should back up a bit since my Jeep is an '80 but I installed a 4.2 from an '85 in 1996 and honestly I can't remember where all the lines went. I didn't want to try to use the computer and had installed a BBD from a '79 with no stepper motor etc. I threw out a pile of vacuum lines and wires; I really mean a pile. The canister was probably on top.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnKanRick View Post
The Evap Can on my 83 CJ7 is not hooked up to anything. Should I take the time to hook everything back up to it? The Evap Can looks like it had been submerged in mud by the PO.
You can clean it and get a new $2.00 air filter for the bottom of it at any auto parts store. It is the gas tank vent and is designed into the system. It purges into the PCV line as a controlled vacuum leak. I want my PCV working right because it controls condensation and engine sludge.

I tried running with mine disconnected when it broke, but got real bad gas fumes. If you plug the lines, the gas tank gets a vacuum on it starving the engine for fuel.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
hp_lovecraft
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I tried running with mine disconnected when it broke, but got real bad gas fumes. If you plug the lines, the gas tank gets a vacuum on it starving the engine for fuel.
My was removed by the PO. In my life, I've owned many Jeeps, none of them had working evaps.

So, needed for operation of vehicle? obviously not. But needed to prevent gas fumes? sure. I only notice them if I park in the garage, but its pretty strong at times.

Now that I'm an old man, I've become interested hooking one up. Junkyards no longer exist around here, so what is the cheapest, simplest way to get one running?

Note: My lines were not plugged, but instead coiled 6 feet of rubber hose behind the rear taillight. The idea that it would vent properly, but no chance of fuel splashing out.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post

My was removed by the PO. In my life, I've owned many Jeeps, none of them had working evaps.

So, needed for operation of vehicle? obviously not. But needed to prevent gas fumes? sure. I only notice them if I park in the garage, but its pretty strong at times.

Now that I'm an old man, I've become interested hooking one up. Junkyards no longer exist around here, so what is the cheapest, simplest way to get one running?
I can't use links on my phone, but part numbers have been posted for modern replacements.

As for running, well.... Gas mileage comes to mind. Carbs suck gas according to vacuum so on the high speed mix, add a controlled vacuum leak from the canister and it will lower the manifold vacuum so your mains won't send as much gas through. I got 22 mpg highway with my 258, I now get 25 with a 4.0 and the stock BBD on it.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
HackFabrication
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Very important-
Do you like the idea of fill'n your garage, with gasoline fumes?
LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkhaos View Post
Well I removed mine in 1996 for the same reason. I park it in a fairly small 1 car garage and have never smelled gas fumes
It's important if you have to pass an emissions test that includes a visual inspection.

There is no EVAP/CANP on my build. Jeep sat with 10+ gallons of gasoline in the tank for over 5 years and I never smelled any gasoline odor coming from it.

Now the Harley would leak occasionally, and the pressure washer, snowblower, zero-turn, lawn mower, line trimmer, edger, and leaf blower probably were probably masking the smell.
__________________
"In the end...It's all Hack."
HackFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post

It's important if you have to pass an emissions test that includes a visual inspection.

There is no EVAP/CANP on my build. Jeep sat with 10+ gallons of gasoline in the tank for over 5 years and I never smelled any gasoline odor coming from it.

Now the Harley would leak occasionally, and the pressure washer, snowblower, zero-turn, lawn mower, line trimmer, edger, and leaf blower probably were probably masking the smell.
You gotta figure evaporation. Get a tank full of nice cold out of the ground gas on a nice hot day and the fumes gets bad fast.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
ThisGuyUKnow
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harleysville, PA
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
You gotta figure evaporation. Get a tank full of nice cold out of the ground gas on a nice hot day and the fumes gets bad fast.
Mine is not hooked up just cause I haven't had a chance. There is a very strong gas smell coming from the under carriage. I can't seem find them new for sale.

I see in a previous post, the filter inside can be replaced? Does any one have part numbers? I don't want to try to explain what the evap canister is to the parts monkey at the store.
__________________
1985 CJ7 Laredo, 4.0, NV3550, D300, 3.31 AMC 20 w/trac loc
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
DanJeep21
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 98
I replaced the canister on my 79 last month. I couldn't find anyone that had the exact fit or similar sized canister instock. The exact model has been discontinued as well as the most popular substitute(93-94 Grand Cherokee). I got one from a late 80's chevy truck. Comes with 1 extra port that needs to be plugged. It cut down on the fumes in the garage greatly.
__________________
79 CJ7 304
DanJeep21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #14
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post

Mine is not hooked up just cause I haven't had a chance. There is a very strong gas smell coming from the under carriage. I can't seem find them new for sale.

I see in a previous post, the filter inside can be replaced? Does any one have part numbers? I don't want to try to explain what the evap canister is to the parts monkey at the store.
The filter is a $2.00 filter usually called an evaporative system filter or emission filter. Just a white disk filter about 5" round and 1/8" thick.

The first one is a bear to change, mine needed a hammer and chisel to dig it out, it was glued in. Replacements just tuck in.

As mentioned if you don't have a carb float bowl, that line can be plugged. The canister just needs a manifold source to purge into like the PCV line and a ported signal to turn it on. California Jeeps used the 5 port CTO also so it wouldn't turn on on a cold engine, but....
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJeep21 View Post
I replaced the canister on my 79 last month. I couldn't find anyone that had the exact fit or similar sized canister instock.
Here are two suitable replacements canisters that are still available. They both will fit in the stock bracket, and only require one minor modification.

BWD CP1061
SMP CP3046

Here's a link to a "how to" on the modification.

http://street2mud.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=378

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.