EVALUATION of used TrueTrac question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > EVALUATION of used TrueTrac question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

EVALUATION of used TrueTrac question

I am looking to buy a used Detroit TrueTrac Locker/Limited Slip for my 1978. MY 1978 CJ front Dana 30 stock 3.54 (ring gear missing some tooth pcs via PO) so changing to 3.73 gears and TrueTrac. Found what I need and have pics. But what can I look for???

Second... I understand from JP article the TrueTrac went thru a design change and made it a stronger unit. Looks to be about 2004 to 2005 design change something about the use of 3 pinion gears are used now. What was the change and can you see it by the pictures.

Found one installed in 95 Cherokee High Pinion for a couple of years and looks to be in good shape. I researched TRUETRAC the Dana 30 application and looks to be the same for the CJ version even though the Cherokee HIGH PINION DANA 30 axles are different. Summit Racing has a nice list of what the Dana 30 TrueTrac will fit for others that come across the need to ck applications.

Just got the numbers off the unit. So looks like the number matches the current offering for The Dana 30 and the 17 8 06 looks to be the date code August 17, 2006.
17 8 06
912A585 part number

There were some other numbers in another area of confirmed 27 spline TrueTrac:
162SL-60BDL
52842-B

Since the Dana 30 is not used at high speed usually and normally not used except for off road and slow..... I am going to try and install the TrueTrac myself. I have been watching the posts here, pretty mechanical, and have a Burnsville OffRoad in back of my house and a couple of local guys I can ask for help if need. Still a big project for my skills, but bucks are tight.

I am running 33x12.5 moderate thread tires and I6, 4.2 with headers, Modern Jeep Intake w/water jacket Weber 34, MSD, TeamRush, Aux Grounds, T18 w/granny gear. A nice close to stock set up that runs pretty well 150 hp vs the stock 110. I will be installing a Dana 44 Rear with 3.73 gears from 1975 CJ also. When I get the funds will be installing a OX Locker or TrueTrac in the Dana 44. So not over powered but will be along the max of 33" tires for TrueTrac and Dana 30.

Questions:
Looking for education TrueTrac, when the TrueTrac changed design what happened? What was the case and gears changed and can the new/old style be seen with the eye or date codes?

Running 33" tires the max recommended for TrueTrac so may need the Design II Type?

How can we look at the TrueTrac to see if still right and not overly worn out?

Are the bearings for the Carriers, Stock, ARB, TrueTrac usually the same?

Does anyone have bearings that could not be used but could be used for Set Up Bearings?? I would hone them out so they would go on/off with out the use a press to set up the shims. I have interest in getting some for Dana 44, AMC 20, and Dana 30?? They could be damaged or scored some but not be well worn. I am looking for alternative to buying new ones to hone out for repeated install /removes till the actual new bearings are installed.

Also looking for homemade axle case spreader if you have a good IDEA and pics.

I will also try and call the tech dept on TrueTrac on Monday to see what they can tell me?

Thanks,
Fred

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.