Engine wont shut off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine wont shut off

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Engine wont shut off

Well so far everything has been working great on the freshly rebuilt motor. I have a DUI dizzy in my 258 thats been flawless and higly recommend going HEI.

Problem: i start the motor this evening just fine, i went to turn it off and nothing still kept running. My volt gauge shows 0 when i turn the ignition key off. I pretty much followed Ken4444 thread below for the install (thanks Ken i've used your build thread many times for help on other issues as well.) I used the connector from summit racing which made things a breeze to install. Since the install ive must of turned on and off over 100 times just fine. What gives? I love these CJ's!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...l#post11980059

I didnt get to deep checking the problem cause its to dark , but i did verify all my fuses good with a test light. Any input as to what might be the cause or where to start checking.

Thanks in advance

ROB03HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

Starter solenoid stuck in the run position maybe. I had the same issue and had to bump the key (grind the starter for a split second) to free it up and unstick it. The one time I dumped the clutch to stall it, I didn't know it was still in the run position and fried up my ignition module. New solenoid fixed the problem.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
billygoat1
1977 CJ7 

also Doublecheck That You Dont Have A Constant Hot Going Straight To ign module.
billygoat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I run the power feed to the HEI though a solenoid that is activated by the wire that used to power the coil. Turns off instantly. Make sure power is not back feeding from the alternator.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Is the red with the white tracer come from the 2 prong connector suppose to stay 12v. Mine stay hot when engine running and ignition key off.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Ok i unplugged the connector that goes into my DUI dizzy tagged BAT, with a test light i get my 12v when key is on and nothing when i turn key off. I found the red wire w/white tracer under the steering colum, I unplug that connector and same thing 12v on and nothing when turned off. When i turn the motor on i have a contant 12v which i guess its normal because when i unplug the connector under the dash it kills the motor. I did check and make sure im not getting power bk fed from the alt. and its not.

Still scratching my head on this.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Here is a clip from another thread. Helped me with the same issue when I installed mine. The alternator excite wire (mine was brown) is the cause. The purpose is to control the electricity coming from the alternator into your charging system. Without the excite wire your ignition switch will turn on and off the jeep, but your charging system won't work and your battery will die quickly. By installing the diode (one way road for electricity) it allows the electricity to flow only to the alternator, and not back into the ignition circuit.
You put the relay in without putting a DIODE in the 'Excite' wire to the alternator,
Which is 'Back Feeding' the relay once the engine is running.
The same wire that feeds the ignition coil/module in the factory stock system also excites the alternator in most CJs.

Try unplugging the two wire plug to the alternator, and if your problem goes away, it's the alternator 'Excite' feed that is causing trouble for you.

If your engine shuts down when you turn the key off with the alternator plug loose,
Then it's a simple fix, you will need to drop by Radio Shack and pick up some Diodes,
Radio Shack p/n 276-1443 or 276-1444 and install one (Stripe facing alternator) in the smaller of the two wires feeding the alternator plug.

Here is an example of the diode in the line,
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
Here is a clip from another thread. Helped me with the same issue when I installed mine. The alternator excite wire (mine was brown) is the cause. The purpose is to control the electricity coming from the alternator into your charging system. Without the excite wire your ignition switch will turn on and off the jeep, but your charging system won't work and your battery will die quickly. By installing the diode (one way road for electricity) it allows the electricity to flow only to the alternator, and not back into the ignition circuit.
You put the relay in without putting a DIODE in the 'Excite' wire to the alternator,
Which is 'Back Feeding' the relay once the engine is running.
The same wire that feeds the ignition coil/module in the factory stock system also excites the alternator in most CJs.

Try unplugging the two wire plug to the alternator, and if your problem goes away, it's the alternator 'Excite' feed that is causing trouble for you.

If your engine shuts down when you turn the key off with the alternator plug loose,
Then it's a simple fix, you will need to drop by Radio Shack and pick up some Diodes,
Radio Shack p/n 276-1443 or 276-1444 and install one (Stripe facing alternator) in the smaller of the two wires feeding the alternator plug.

Here is an example of the diode in the line,

Ok ill try that.

Why would it be working just fine and then out of the blue cause this issue?
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

I called radio shack but the say that part # is not on file anymore. What type of diode should I ask for?
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Could it be this one?

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/p...tId=2062578%22
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just as a quick test, pull the plug from the ALT and start the Jeep. See if it shuts off with the key. That will tell you if its back feeding from the ALT and if you even need to do the diode.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Just as a quick test, pull the plug from the ALT and start the Jeep. See if it shuts off with the key. That will tell you if its back feeding from the ALT and if you even need to do the diode.

Just tried it. Still stays on when i turn off the ignition.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Ok i found the problem!! Its the relay that sits just above the valve cover. I pulled the relay and BAM its turns off and on just fine now.

So what does that relay do?

Ill replace it to see what it does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.