Engine won't crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine won't crank

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
justinzoso
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Engine won't crank

I am new to CJ's but not to Jeeps. I just bought a 80' CJ5 not running. When I try to start it...it just ticks like a low battery would. I beleive it has a 4.2L AMC but still green about the CJ's. any help? Thanx in advance.

justinzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Battery good? Battery Cables good and on tight - ofter overlooked cause. I had similar symptoms and found issues with the starter solenoid on my 80 and had to replace it.
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That sounds like a low battery...

If the battery is good, then it is a bad connection, usually at the fender solenoid. They corrode easy.

One way to sometimes find the bad connection is to try it a couple times, then 'carefully' feel the ends of the main battery cables. If you find a hot one, you have found a connection problem.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
justinzoso
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

I just got the thing home and wanted to see if it would even crank over seeing as how it ran a little less than a year ago. I normally don't rig things up like this but it currently does not have a battery in it. I had jumper cables connected to the positive and ground ends of the cj to a running full size gm truck just to see if it would crank over before I got a battery for it! Not how I like to do things like I said but I was very excited and impatiant at the time. Then thinking I didn't have enough power after hearing the clicking I hooked a battery charger up to it the same way and trying the 10 and 40 amp settings...it still just clicked. The starter looks about new so maybe the previous owner had the same problem and also could not figure it out. There is a wire near the starter silonoid thing that is not connected to anything that has the same type of connector as the two smaller wires connected to the silonoid. I don't know where the clicking sound is coming from but is on the passenger side. I don't have anyone to turn the key while I listen and I took this week off of work to see if I could fix this thing.
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Welcome to the Jeep world. Now would be a great time to start buying some inexpensive test equipment. The two biggest friends you can have is a multimeter and a test light. While more expensive ones are built better and last longer, budget permitting you can fall into the pair at harbor freight for about ten dollars. As you spend more time with your rig you will find these items invaluable.
First, check the battery voltage. Should be above 12. If not, you need to charge or replace the battery. Next, clean your pos and neg posts, clamps and both cable ends, then insure the solenoid is tight and well grounded. Also replace any cables that have a high degree of corrosion or one of those "emergency clamps" attached to it. Once you insure the rig is out of gear, Try to either start it from the inside or jump across the battery post to the S pole using a remote starter (might want to pick one of these up also, saves a lot of time jumping in and out of the cab). Does the solenoid still clatter? If so, start with your multimeter set for volts and crank the engine. you should have nine or more volts. If not, might think about having the battery tested. If so, chances are your solenoid is bad or there is an issue with the ignition circuit (the remote starter can confirm this if the problem only occurs when using the key).
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

The battery charger is not going to turn the engine over, and without a battery in the CJ, it is very hard to get a set of jumper cables to turn the engine over. Get a good battery and install in the CJ and lets start from that point.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwireless View Post
The battery charger is not going to turn the engine over, and without a battery in the CJ, it is very hard to get a set of jumper cables to turn the engine over. Get a good battery and install in the CJ and lets start from that point.

Jim
x2 on this. i believe car batteries depending on the size put about between 500 and 900 cranking amps. so trying the charger on 10 or 40 amps isn't going to do much for you at all. i know how you feel wanting to get it started before dropping $75 on a battery. when i first picked up my CJ it had sat for a year and i got it going using the battery out of my explorer (literally took the battery out of the explorer and put it in the CJ). i also had to replace the battery cables to get it started, but those weren't all that expensive compared to a battery.
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
justinzoso
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanx for all the replies. I had an 01' tj for a couple years but had to sell it and this cj is my way back into the jeep world that I've been craving and the tj being a newer jeep, didn't have the probs like this one. I am only 23 and grew up in the fuel injection world with scanners and such so not too experienced with trouble shooting without scanners and such. I just hope I don't run into anything too hard carb wise cause I am very green about carbs. I totally over looked how many amps it takes to start an engine. I have a fluke meter, battery load tester and a whole garage full of tools, so I guess I will start things right and buy a battery and check all connections and stop being lazy and impatient. Thanx guys!
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i just got a cj7 that does the same thing, i tried to start it with the battery outside connected with jumper cables, is this cuz the batter loses too much power through the cables without the power from the started car powering them?
thebeast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast64 View Post
i just got a cj7 that does the same thing, i tried to start it with the battery outside connected with jumper cables, is this cuz the batter loses too much power through the cables without the power from the started car powering them?
Yes, typical jumper cables and their clamps won't pass the current needed to start usually. Really thick expensive ones will. That is why you usually have to leave a boost on for a few minutes before trying the dead battery vehicle, it takes a little bit to get a charge happening.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
justinzoso
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

I didn't want to try this option but would the 200 amp start setting on the charger work? I thought that it would be to hard on the ignition system with out a battery there to absorb some of the juice.
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinzoso View Post
I didn't want to try this option but would the 200 amp start setting on the charger work? I thought that it would be to hard on the ignition system with out a battery there to absorb some of the juice.
Not a good idea, you need a battery to protect everything, your battery is a huge capacitor that absorbs anything above its terminal voltage. I know you want to get this engine running, but please be patient and wait until you can install a battery into this CJ. Do not cause yourself any more trouble than you already have.

large battery chargers use the battery as the output capacitor and filter, if you had a true 200 amp battery eliminator that might work, but there are not many of those around.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You could simply pull a battery from another rig. While resetting the clock and radio might be a bit of a bother, you would have your answers without any cash outlay.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
justinzoso
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Well...over the weekend i had pulled the starter and hooked power directly up to it to see if it worked. Nothin'! So I took it in to have it tested at Autozone and it tested fine. I put it back in with a new battery and she started cranking over. Choke cable broken so I closed the choke by hand after adding a few drops of gas to the carb. SHE FIRED! I was soo happy. I found that she wouldn't stay running and I found that it was spraying gas out of a pin hole in the fuel line. Replaced that section and she idled like she just got a new tune up. I can't beleive it. So after I warmed her up a bit and made sure it wouldn't die on me and adding new fuel, I took her up a big hill by my shop and I am in love with my CJ. Thanx for all the help guys. Many more things to do on this rig...but it all fun.
80 CJ5 Renegade, Lifted, 35x12.50 TSL Super Swamppers Sold

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.