Engine will not restart! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine will not restart!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
gonzo3613

Engine will not restart!

1983 CJ7 258 CID Clifford Intake Holley 600 4brl carb.w/manual choke hooker headers.

Jeep has been sittin for about 7 months..I've stated it twice with adding gas to the carb. Now after adding gas to the carb the engine starts...and depressing the gas pedal the engine revs-up. When the engine idels it dies.
The engine will not restart...i'll pump the pedal and noting. I can add gas to the carb and it will start but dies at idel.

What's going on!! HELP

gonzo3613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
bluwtrsurfr

It sounds like you're not getting fuel to the carb. I would check your fuel filter and replace it to ensure that's not the issue. Also you could also have clogged jets. But I'd start with the filter first.

Will

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Fill in your Profile!!!!!! Teh advice you get will be more specific, still wrong but specifically wrong.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

You are not getting fuel to the carb.

That could mean:

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel filter
3. Fuel hoses.
4. Fuel tubes / pipes
5. Fuel filter
6. Out of gas (yes it does seem simple but a lot of people do run out of gas)

You do not tell us if you have a mechanical or electric pump.

In any case I would start by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb. Turn the engine over and see if you get a copious amount of fuel, about enough to fill a tea cup in 30 seconds, coming out of the pipe.

If you do then you have a blockage in the carb, maybe a blocked filter just at the inlet or a blocked inlet valve. Either way you will be stripping the carb.

If you have no fuel or very little it is further back.

One thing to be aware of is that these old CJs have fuel hoses on top of the fuel tank. They rot, crack and split and then suck air. Not necessarily the problem but if your pump is working worth dropping the tank and having a look.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Didn't you say that even when you pour gas in the carb you cant get it to start now? Should fire if you have spark by putting gas in the carb, check spark now?
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

I agree with checking flow to the carb first and working your way either forward or backwards based on what you find. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a cracked vacuum port cover. It was getting too much air and would only run on full choke. Sad part was it took me a whole day to discover it and I replaced the pump, filter, and cleaned the carb jets before I eventually saw that.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.