Engine and Transmission Choices - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine and Transmission Choices

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Engine and Transmission Choices

First off I want to thank everyone for all your help. This forum has been a great resource espcially for a newbie.

I have a 1984 cj7 151 t5. I've been thinking about upgrading my engine and transmission. I just cant decide if I want a 304 or 360 and not sure on the transmission. I've been thinking about a 360 with a t176 but they have been hard to find and the ones I have been finding are extremely expensive.

I know that I would like to put in a 2.5-3inch suspension lift + I already need new shocks so i would like to purchase some that would be great still with the upgraded engine. Also now living in CA I know that It has to be a 1984 engine or newer. Currently it's my DD and I will be taking it offroad as well. That's why i'm struggling with the engine choice. For now and probably for a while this will be my DD and the 151 just boggs down on the hills it's great on flat road but as soon as a hill comes along slow lane all the way up. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

I've also been thinking about getting a Grand wagoneer to get the 360 from but I would still need the transmission. I would want to keep it a MT as possible. (I know I live in CA but there is nothing better then a MT). But then i'm stuck with a GW with no engine so not sure what other parts from it I could use or try to sell to get some money back.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know what gear ratio you have?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.