Engine and Transmission Choices - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine and Transmission Choices

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Engine and Transmission Choices

First off I want to thank everyone for all your help. This forum has been a great resource espcially for a newbie.

I have a 1984 cj7 151 t5. I've been thinking about upgrading my engine and transmission. I just cant decide if I want a 304 or 360 and not sure on the transmission. I've been thinking about a 360 with a t176 but they have been hard to find and the ones I have been finding are extremely expensive.

I know that I would like to put in a 2.5-3inch suspension lift + I already need new shocks so i would like to purchase some that would be great still with the upgraded engine. Also now living in CA I know that It has to be a 1984 engine or newer. Currently it's my DD and I will be taking it offroad as well. That's why i'm struggling with the engine choice. For now and probably for a while this will be my DD and the 151 just boggs down on the hills it's great on flat road but as soon as a hill comes along slow lane all the way up. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

I've also been thinking about getting a Grand wagoneer to get the 360 from but I would still need the transmission. I would want to keep it a MT as possible. (I know I live in CA but there is nothing better then a MT). But then i'm stuck with a GW with no engine so not sure what other parts from it I could use or try to sell to get some money back.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know what gear ratio you have?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.