Engine Swap from Wagoneer and top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Swap from Wagoneer and top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Engine Swap from Wagoneer and top

I have a 1984 cj7 with a 4 cyl 5spd. I have recently been looking at getting an AMC360. I have been reading a lot that If I wanted to do this I should be looking at Grand Wagoneers. I have been able to find a few of them that the owers are willing to sell me extrmely cheap.

I'm just concerend what else besides the engine and transmission can I use from them? If I wanted AC can I put a GW AC in a cj7?

With that much power I assume I should stick to AT instead of a stick transmission but not sure?

If I find a stick should I look at converting it to a AT? A stick doesn't bother me I do live in southern cali so i'm use to the traffic.

With the GW is there a particular transmission I should be looking at?

I have read about the amc 306 swaps so i'm assuiming it would be the same info more or less?

As for electrical If I get a painless harness would it be for a cj7 or for a wagoneer?

Finally random question. I also got a great deal on a family bar. Since I currently have a hard top when I order a soft top for it would I say it's from a 1994 since that's what it came from I just would like to order the correct top.

I'm just wondering what everyone's advice would be? I'm sorry for all the questions. This site has been so helpful for me I can't thank you all enough.

thanks,

christopher

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

I"m sorry for the all the questions but does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks,

Christopher
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

To answer the question about the tranny, I would go with a stick personally. Or whatever comes with the engine would probably be the easiest way to do things. You are definetly going to want to replace the t5 tranny if you are dropping a 360 in. A/c you can make work with some planning. I dont think it would be to hard to do. then again i dont have or need ac.The soft top order for the year of your vehicle. it will fit over the family bar
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Yes, it's the same as an AMC 304 swap. You'll just need CJ V8 motor/frame mounts because the CJ frame is more narrow than the Wagoneer.

You can use the D44 axles with some work.

Transmission is mainly a preference. For a manual, I'd go with a T176 as it will bolt to the D300. For an auto, probably a TF or TH400

The electrical isn't too difficult. And as far as the ignition, I would go with a "Team Rush" ...search it and you'll find lots of info(I'll be doing it to mine when I get some funds.)
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was just going to say since you have the 4 cylinder that's the chevy bolt pattern so maybe look at a chevy truck for an engine and axle swap? anyway grand wagoneers 86-91 have a centered rear dana 44 if an axle swap is in your plans... try searching the the forum I had a thread similar to this a few days ago

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
Yes, it's the same as an AMC 304 swap. You'll just need CJ V8 motor/frame mounts because the CJ frame is more narrow than the Wagoneer.
If your engine is sourced from a FSJ, you will also need CJ block mounts.

Quote:
For an auto, probably a TF or TH400
All automatic FSJ's 1980-up have a TF-727's, which accept Dana 300's without any aftermarket adapters. If you run the 727 with a D300, you must ensure that you have adequate lift, or you will have interference issues with the trans and front driveshaft. I believe the generally accepted minimum is 4", but I would want a little more room.

The FSJ manual drivetrains are not easily compatible with CJ's. The T-176/177's have long input shafts and spacers on the front of the trans to the bellhousing to place the shifter in the proper location within the longer FSJ body. You also don't want to bother with an 80's J-20 T-18/208J setup. A CJ T-176/D300 will be fine behind the 360 and will bolt together just as if it was behind a 304 or 258.

Quote:
The electrical isn't too difficult.
Take the 360's engine harness along with it into the CJ. Just unplug the whole thing from the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
I was just going to say since you have the 4 cylinder that's the chevy bolt pattern so maybe look at a chevy truck for an engine and axle swap?
No. The transmission behind the 4-cyl will not hold up behind a V8. People are lured into doing this due to the Chevy bolt pattern and they learn their lesson the hard way. Either take the entire Chevy engine/trans/transfer case, or stick with the known compatibility of the AMC drivelines.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
mike4089

I have a 360 for sale...rebuilt with awesome oil pressure, stainless valves and springs, torquer intake, hei dizzy, little bit of a cam for a small rumble comes complete with ever accessory, and belts. this is litterally a drop in motor. Just wont come with a carb 650 bucks, also have radiator and motor mounts,for the right price, and i can arrange the shipping and since i have many friends in the shipping world it wont cost that much..pm me if interested
mike4089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
I was just going to say since you have the 4 cylinder that's the chevy bolt pattern so maybe look at a chevy truck for an engine and axle swap? anyway grand wagoneers 86-91 have a centered rear dana 44 if an axle swap is in your plans... try searching the the forum I had a thread similar to this a few days ago
I think in 84 Jeep was using the AMC 4 banger.. could be wrong though.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Bigjeep65
1982 CJ7 

The Grand Waggy's with the centered Dana in the rear will have the drivers side drop tcase, and drivers side diff. on the front axle. Usually not what we want in a CJ. (Yes it can be made to work, and some prefer it)
Bigjeep65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

I just wanted to thank you to everyone. I know that I had a lot of questions.

So it sounds like when I get the amc360 I need take the transmission as well and to go with either the transmission it came with a T176 or for an auto, probably a TF or TH400

And the jury's still out for the axl replacement if I try to use the axls on a wagonneer.

Any advice on what I can do with the axls so upgrade them? It will be a DD but I will be using it when I to camping and some offroad?

Thanks again,

Christopher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.