Engine swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine swap question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Lego-26
1979 CJ7 

Engine swap question

So the bad news is my 258 shredded the #3 piston and bent the crank at the same time. After tearing apart the engine and checking things out Its not worth rebuilding.
The good news is I can pick up an older running 318 engine. The question is this, how hard is this swap? can it be done? I know I will need a conversion bell housing and a little bit of parts matching but after that? Any help would be great.

Lego-26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

That swap would be a total custom fab job. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it but it won't be easy. There are reasons the Ford 5.0 and Chevy 350 are the most common. Any swap can be performed with enough work and money.
Unread 10-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

An AMC V8 will bolt in with very few mods. AMC inline 6s and V8s share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The passenger side motor mount on the frame is a bit different, but overall its a bolt in swap.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Stick with AMC, unless you have time and deep-pockets.
LG
Unread Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #5
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

What they said, AMC. Super easy to do with off the shelf parts.
Unread Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #6
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Having done the SBC swap myself, I must agree with what the others said about cost and time. If you want to keep cost down and do minimum fab work stick with AMC.

There are companies that sell TBI fuel injection for the AMC engines, but there again the cost issue comes up.

However, that being said, there's nothing like electronic fuel injection when you are at 7,000 ft elevation and climbing a ridiculous steep trail or off camber so far you're praying it doesn't tip. Last thing you need is the engine to quit in that moment because it flooded or starved for fuel.

I'm an advocate for fuel injection, if you couldn't tell. No matter what happens, don't get discouraged and get that Jeep back on the road.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Q-jet.. Just as good as EFI at 1/10th the cost.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #8
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I disagree, the fuel injection is way better. Not that a Q-jet is bad,I've had plenty but I am much happier with the tbi. Once understood,and using the obd1 system; you can put it on just about anything out there. I will be helping a friend put a system on a 304. All salvage parts. Keeps cost way down......

Btw computer,wiring and sensors....25 bucks total.....

Dave in Muskegon using Jeep Forum App
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

I've heard from a lot of different folks that the Q-Jet is a great carb and works great offroad with the angles without flooding or starving. I don't disagree. I don't have personal experience with it.

I do have extensive experience with my factory OEM TBI system and I can say is it's the last thing I think or worry about on my Jeep. I don't worry about keeping my air/fuel in tune. I don't have to. It does it on it's own no matter the temp or barometric conditions.

Hijack mode: OFF
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.